Precompiled Dynamic data app with updateable omits FieldTemplates RRS feed

• Question

• User-599372437 posted

When precompiling a asp.net Dynamic Data application the FieldTemplates folder is deleted in the process, why? I use a normal Web Deployment Project with the EnableUpdateable option. When i enable the option it works just fine.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:50 AM

All replies

• User-1005219520 posted

What are you passing to Aspnet_compiler.exe ? What OS are you using?

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:09 PM
  • User660823006 posted

Precompiled web applications only provide empty place holder files for .ASPX files. This is because IIS needs to have an actual file in the file system to know to route the request to the ASP.NET engine. All web controls (*.ascx) will not exist in this case because they can never be referenced directly anyways. If you mark your pre-compiled web site UPDATEABLE the files will continue to exist. Here is an article with more information on precompiling: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479044.aspx.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:14 PM
  • User-599372437 posted

Precompiled web applications only provide empty place holder files for .ASPX files. This is because IIS needs to have an actual file in the file system to know to route the request to the ASP.NET engine. All web controls (*.ascx) will not exist in this case because they can never be referenced directly anyways. If you mark your pre-compiled web site UPDATEABLE the files will continue to exist. Here is an article with more information on precompiling: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479044.aspx.

that's alright with me, but dynamic data then complains (throws exception) that the folder doesn't exists!

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 1:18 PM
  • User-599372437 posted

putting a dummy file in FieldTemplates folder solved it...

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:14 PM
  • User1641955678 posted

Can you clarify what you mean by "I use a normal Web Deployment Project with the EnableUpdateable option. When i enable the option it works just fine".  This seems to say opposite things.  Are you having the issue with the updatable flag, or without it?

thanks,
    David

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:20 PM
  • User-599372437 posted

I setup a standard Web Deployment Project and sets the Updatedable flag to true.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:43 PM
  • User1641955678 posted

So to make sure I understand, the steps are:

• Add a Web Deployment project to a DD web app (Updatable mode)
    • Build it

And it ends up creating an app that doesn't have any DynamicData\FieldTemplates folder?  That should not happen.  What about all the other files, like Default.aspx, the PageTemplates, etc...?  Are they there in the deployed app?

David

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:44 PM
  • User-536915050 posted

Hi David,

I have the same problem when I check the project for non updatable, this issue is still in VS 2010?

thanks,

Joe

Friday, July 1, 2011 11:41 AM