SQL Login Account Disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

One of my SQL Login Account my Disabled.

No one has disabled the account accidently or intentially.

Could you please let me know and explain why and when sql login get disabled.

Regards
    Mohd Sufian

thanx mohd sufian
    Monday, April 27, 2009 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Renaming sa account in SQL Server 2005
    SQL Server 2005 introduces a revamped security model including users and schema separation & more granular grantable permissions. ALTER LOGIN statement in SQL Server 2005 allows you to disable the sa account and rename it. This is a good security measure to take on SQL Servers running in mixed authentication mode for example. The statements to rename and disable sa account is below:

ALTER LOGIN sa DISABLE;
    ALTER LOGIN sa WITH NAME = [sys-admin];

A DBA could check the updatedate column in the syslogins system table to see when a password changed, however, this wasn't always a valid check. This column gets changed whenever anything about the login gets changed, to include the default database or language. Therefore, this column could reflect a change, even if it's unrelated to the password. Also, even if a DBA flags a particular login, there was no automated mechanism within SQL Server to disable the account. A DBA would have to execute the system stored procedure sp_denylogin manually to stop the login from being used

Thanks,
    Shanthi

Monday, April 27, 2009 9:44 AM