Issue with Sheridan 3D Controls (Threed32.OCX) while upgrading VB6.0 to .Net 4.0 RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi Team,

Good Day..

We are working on Migration of my project (VB 6.0 to .NET 4.0).

Our application used Sheridan 3D Controls (Threed32.OCX) and other thirdparty controls (Far Point Spread 2.5)  in Windows XP/7 32 bit.

While Upgrading VB 6.0 to .NET 4.0 in Win 7/10 64 bit OS, All the Sheridan control changed to Picture Box. We made some code changes and got converted AXThreed.AXSSPanel.

But My Questions are

1. Is Sheridan 3D Controls (Threed32.OCX) is thirdparty control like Far Point Spread or VB6.0 control which is not support Windows 7 or 10 64 bit OS?

2. Can we replace .Net standard controls instead of Sheridan 3D Controls (Threed32.OCX)?

3. After installed VB6.0 and .NET 4.0 , I don't see Threed32.OCX installed in the Win 7 /10 64 bit OS. Do we need install and register separately ?
    Thursday, February 15, 2018 7:48 AM

All replies

• AFAIK is Sheridan a property of Infragistics.

Probably better to visit their forums. 

With some exceptions are the controls which were in VB6 forms the same as .Net Windows Forms.

https://www.infragistics.com/community/forums/

Success
    Cor

Thursday, February 15, 2018 8:37 AM
  • Hello,

To be honest, you are better to forget the old OCX as it's build unware of .NET Framework and sooner or latter other issues will rise up even if you get it to work in the project.

Please see the following page.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Thursday, February 15, 2018 11:41 AM
  • I can't think of any reason why you would need the Threed32.ocx component in .NET. This is a legacy Classic VB component for which most if not all of the functionality can be provided by a .NET component (or code) if necessary. You may want to indicate how it is being used so we can suggest a replacement.

The standard Windows application UI has changed since the 1990s, when big 3D buttons and panels were used often. The Sheridan components were actually dropped from the VB 6.0 installation and were installed manually from the CD with a separate license file.

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:24 PM
  • Hello,

To be honest, you are better to forget the old OCX as it's build unware of .NET Framework and sooner or latter other issues will rise up even if you get it to work in the project.

Please see the following page.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Yeah I don't understand how peeps can perform an 'upgrade' from an antique and still want to keep using the wooden spoked wheels. Although 3D controls sunds kinda neat. I thought about that once. A control that pops up and you spin it and it has controls around it or something that come into and go out of view as it is rotated or spun. How ya'll doing Karen? You typo'd a couple times there so I figure u must be tired.

La vida loca

Thursday, February 15, 2018 1:25 PM
  • Boooo. The dreaded threed. Get rid of it.

You need to update to .net if you are updating to .net.

:)

Friday, February 16, 2018 12:04 AM