Showing connection window to TFS giving this error: ‘Field not found: Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.Common.IdentityAttributeTags.AccountName’ RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a word Add-in which connects to Team Foundation Server and provides authoring feature through it. The Problem I started to face recently with Visual Studio 2017 Team explorer library is when I show connection window to the user to select a team project it gives him following error.

Field not found:

‘Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.Common.IdentityAttributeTags.AccountName’.

right after this ,Select Team Project window is displayed  but without Server Names. When as a user i tried to add VSTS server link, i got this issue below:

This is the Add Server window(called from Team Explorer library) shown, to select team project.

Please provide me a quick resolution ASAP as I can't proceed further with this problem.

NOTE:

My another client is also facing this same issue with his ON-Prem TFS server.

Thanks

Regards

Arsalan

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 12:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    most likely you have an older version of TFS assemblies in the GAC.

--Vladimir

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:45 PM
  • Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for a prompt response.

This could be a problem but I put libraries in installation folder of latest installed VS during installation of my product which are packaged with it. I have experienced this problem within a couple of weeks from two completely different machines which does not seem to be happening before. Similarity between those two machines is both have VS 2017 installed with some older version installed like VS 2015 or VS 2013.

For the check what you are suggesting I have worked following the same things on my own environments but that is not happening with my other machines. I have various environments with VS 2013, VS 2015 and VS 2017 installed at the same time but Addin works absolutely perfect. What I have to troubleshoot is to see the scenario what is making my application to produce this error.

What steps do I need to follow to resolve the issue?

Thanks

Regards,

Arsalan

Tuesday, September 19, 2017 5:02 PM
  • Hi Arsalan,

Do you mean only two machines have this issue?

Have you tried directly in Team Explorer instead of in the Add-in on these two machine? Are you able to reproduce this issue when you use Team Explorer directly?

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:28 AM
  • Arsalan,

even though you deploy TFS assemblies with your application, assemblies will be loaded from GAC if they exist there. Unfortunately, we do not change assembly version during release cycle. Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.Common.dll was shipped many times from TFS 2017 RC to TFS 2017 Update 3 RC1 and its assembly version was always set to 15.0.0.0.
    So far, the only solution is to check if assembly exists in the GAC and if this is the case, your app can report an error telling customers to remove TFS assemblies from the GAC.

I see that IdentityAttributeTags.AccountName was changed in April of this year from public const to static readonly, which is definitely a breaking change.

Thanks,
    --Vladimir

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 4:23 AM
  • Hi Xinxin,

The issue was mainly reported by our two big clients and we tried to reproduce the same issue at our end but unfortunately we are unable to do that as installing different combinations of Visual Studio with VS or TE 2017 doesn't seem to work on our premises that's why I am here to ask what is happening different within various 2017 versions of VS. If VS 2017 with any old version (2013 or 2015) works perfect on our machines why doesn't it work on client's environment?

What can I do that would give me the same error as my clients are getting on their machines? I want to reproduce it on my premises. Furthermore, client is able to connect through Team Explorer but when he open connection window through Addin, it is giving him the "Field not found" error.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:18 PM
  • Hey Vladimir,

Hope you are well and good.

Thanks for providing me an insight of what could be the different thing with VS 2017 multiple versions. You mean to say library which I am loading has a constant "AccountName" in IdentityAttributeTags class now changed to readonly in later versions from April and afterwards?

Please suggest what steps do I need to take to remove this error?

Thanks & Regards,

Arsalan

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 3:06 PM
  • Hi Arsalan,

As Vladimir mentioned, you would need to ask your clients to check whether their machines have TFS assemblies in the GAC. You can also list the assemblies in the GAC on your machine, and compare with your client's.

If there are TFS assemblies in the GAC on your clients' machine, you would need to tell them to remove TFS assemblies from the GAC.

Best regards,

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, September 21, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Hallo,

I am facing the same issue on my machine. I cannot find the assembly Microsoft.VisualStudio.Services.Common.dll in the GAC. 

Any other ideas to work around this issue?

Kind regards,
    Karim

Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Before I looked only under Windows/assembly but it was under Users\..\ApData\Local\assembly

Deleting it does not help because it comes back after starting Word. I tried to copy the dll from C:\Program Files\eDev Technologies\SmartWord4TFS 2017 Update 2\TFS2017\Extensions but the error still occures.

I don't have an older version of Visual Studio installed so I don't have a previous version of the dll available to check if it works.

Regards,
    Karim
    Wednesday, November 15, 2017 10:48 AM