File System Error after Restore RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi Guys,

I have issues in restoring our Analysis Services database. Any help will be great.

I took backups of our production olap database and Unfortunately, I had to restore next day and it didn't worked out very well.

Restore process was successful but when I tried to Query database I was getting error  - "File system error: The following error occurred while the \\?\F:\Program File( x86)\ Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\<Olap db name>.0.db\<Cube name>.0.cub\...........\4.fact.data' ...

My cubes have 4 partitions. I used SSMS to back and restore. Used compressed option only. Let me know if I need to put more information.

Thank you - Ashok

Friday, July 6, 2007 9:21 PM

All replies

• Could you post the full error message?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Monday, July 9, 2007 3:18 PM
    Answerer
  • I tried to run restore again so I can copy message. I got error while running restore following. I will try to run again...

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

The ddl2:MemberKeysUnique element at line 63, column 5183 (namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/analysisservices/2003/engine/2) cannot appear under Load/ObjectDefinition/Dimension/Hierarchies/Hierarchy.
    Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when instantiating a metadata object from the file, '\\?\G:\SQLServerData\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\Risk Reports Histroy.0.db\Credit Counterparty.1.dim.xml'.
    Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when loading the Accounting cube, from the file, '\\?\G:\SQLServerData\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\Risk Reports Histroy.0.db\Accounting.1.cub.xml'.
     (Microsoft.AnalysisServices)

BUTTONS:

OK

Monday, July 9, 2007 4:51 PM
  • The problem seems to be an issue with the SP level on the target system.  Take a look at Jon Galloway's blog-entry on this.  He had the same issue and describes how he resolved it.

http://weblogs.asp.net/jgalloway/archive/2007/06/21/sql-server-analysis-services-quot-errors-in-the-metadata-manager-quot-when-restoring-a-backup.aspx

Hope that helps,
    Bryan

Monday, July 9, 2007 5:02 PM
    Answerer
  • I tried to run new backup in production to start new test but I get this error. I see there is backup file of 29G I think i didn't checked the compressed mode. Backup was not completed. I have lot of disk space. I will checked that linked it's blocked at my work but I have SP2 in procution.

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio

File system error: The following error occurred while the '\\?\F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\Risk Reports History.0.db\Positions.0.cub\Positions.0.det\Positions 2006.0.prt\14.fact.data' file was being copied to the 'F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Backup\Risk Reports History.abf' file: .
     (Microsoft.AnalysisServices)

BUTTONS:

OK

Monday, July 9, 2007 6:36 PM
  • Could be a lot of things.  Make sure you are on the latest service pack. Make sure the paths listed are valid on your system.  Make sure you and the service account have sufficient access to those paths.  You may want to reprocess your cube and try again.  Alternatively, you may want to simply reverse the database definition, deploy that to your other environment and reprocess it there. 

Basically, I'm not sure there is a clearly identifiable answer to the problem.

B.

Monday, July 9, 2007 6:42 PM
    Answerer
  • Now I double confirm that service pack 2 is installed and I restarted my backup / restore test.

This is what I get - for smaller olap databases (I don't have cut off size) I am fine I can backup / restore works fine.
    For bigger olap databases Either I get following error while taking backup

File system error: The following error occurred while the '\\?\F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\Risk Reports History.0.db\Positions.0.cub\Positions.0.det\Positions 2006.0.prt\14.fact.data' file was being copied to the 'F:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Backup\Risk Reports History.abf' file: .(Microsoft.AnalysisServices)

OR if I try to restore one of my old backup that means backup did works some time. Restore doesn't end with any error guess works fine but when I try to query measures
    get this error:

The query could not be processed:
    o File system error: The following file is corrupted: Physical file: \\?\G:\SQLServerData\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\RiskReportsHistoryTest.0.db\Scenario Analysis.0.cub\Scenario Analysis.0.det\Scenario Analysis 2006.0.prt\2.fact.data. Logical file .

Easy guess both has same problem comes back with "File system error". I guess I need to call Microsoft help.

Thank you - Ashok
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 1:57 PM
  • Might be the best bet.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

B.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 2:12 PM
    Answerer
  • Ashok, I am having this same problem.

I process the cube on one server, can browse the data fine, but when I backup and restore to the other server, get the file corrupt error, see below.

I have tried to clean out the data directory, tried restoring the backup from both local and network share locations. Same result each time. One note is that this project was first created by using a solution, then adding projects, but one developer opened the project by creating it from server inside of bids...so I ended up with solution files are more than one folder depth. I read one entry that said this might have caused the problem.

Error when browsing cube on target production server after restore from development server backup.

The query could not be processed:
    o File system error: The following file is corrupted: Physical file: \\?\F:\AnalysisServicesDatabases\Data\Outpatient Cube.128.db\DM Out Patient1.216.cub\Fact All.216.det\Fact All.195.prt\199.fact.data. Logical file .

Any luck fixing it?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Troy

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 11:42 AM
  • Ashok - Did you ever get a solution from Microsoft regarding this.  I too am finding that there appears to be a "size" limitation of being able to backup cubes from one server using management studio and restore them back successfully to another instance without issue. 

What I am having to do is re-process the large cubes on the new server once restored - not ideal by any means.

I would be interested to hear what Microsoft had to say or what resolved the issue.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 4:31 PM