[UWP][XAML]What are Scale & Effective? RRS feed

• Question

• In the Visual Studio 2015 Xaml Designer toolbar, there is a dropdown that lists several devices, sizes, and scales. What exactly does the scale value mean? The designer has a dropdown to zoom in or out while designing, so I know that's not it. I also noticed that there is a read-only value on the toolbar called Effective. What is this? I would have though there would just be a dropdown with a list of sizes, but now I am completely confused by the Scale & Effective values, because I don't even know what I'm looking at anymore! Can somebody tell me what these values mean? Thanks.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Nathan -

Various devices advertise their resolutions as 1080p etc, but in fact are scaling their output to be that size. We show the scale factor and the effective resolution to help you understand what the actual size the device is using internally  - for instance for layout. The effective size is also what is used for adaptive triggers :

<VisualState.StateTriggers>

<AdaptiveTrigger MinWindowWidth="720"/>

</VisualState.StateTriggers>

If we show an effective width of 720px, with a scale factor of 150% the advertised size would 1080.

Pete MSFT

Wednesday, August 5, 2015 6:30 PM