none
VS2015 and Service Reference Disappears

Question

• My solution includes several projects one of which contains a Service Reference to a WSDL for E-commerce site.

The solution also requires access to manage a windows service which in turn requires elevated access (run as Administrator) to run.  When I do this my Service reference disappears from the solution explorer and VS2015 will not exit. Error I get when closing VS is:  Value cannot be null. Parameter name: compositionService.

Any Suggestions to resolve.  I'm running windows 10 all patches applied and VS2015 SP1.

Saturday, March 05, 2016 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Mudoch2505,

Since this forum is to discuss:

Visual Studio WPF/SL Designer, Visual Studio Guidance Automation Toolkit, Developer Documentation and Help System, and Visual Studio Editor.

To make this issue clearly, I think we have to make sure that whether it is related to the specific project type or the VS IDE itself.

>>When I do this my Service reference disappears from the solution explorer and VS2015 will not exit.

Do you mean that you couldn't see the "Add service reference" option like the following screen shot 1 or it means that one reference disappeared after you opened the "add service reference" window like the screen shot 2?

Like the screen shot 1, if no add services option, please create a simple app like the Web form app, check it again. If you could get it, I think it would not the VS IDE issue.

But if you mean that no services like the screen shot 2, please let us know the real project type you are developing, I think we would discuss this issue developing team about this issue.

>>My solution includes several projects one of which contains a Service Reference to a WSDL for E-commerce site.

Is it the Web project? Whether it is related to the Azure?

If it is related to the ASP.NET App, you know that actually it has his own support site, maybe you could post this issue here:

https://forums.asp.net/

But if it is not the web app, please tell me the real project type, I will help you find a more appropriate forum.

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, March 07, 2016 6:43 AM
  • No this is directly the IDE not ASP.net or even the Web Services. 

In the one project I have calls to allow me to start/stop a windows service app that could be running on the same station as my app. It's a service I wrote in conjunction with the main application.

In the main application I also use web service reference to Network Solutions eCommerce SOAP interface.  In my App.manifest file I had the following line enabled to allow access to the Start/Stop windows service functions.

<!-- <requestedExecutionLevel  level="requireAdministrator" uiAccess="false" /> -->

By simply disabling this line all worked fine. Meaning that the Service Reference to NetSOlAPI returned to the screen and I could close VS without error.  But with this line enabled The Service Reference does not show and when I try to exit VS I get the error. The scrfeen shot below shows the Service Reference displayed as it should. and VS remains open I must use task manager to terminate VS.

Monday, March 07, 2016 1:55 PM
  • Hi Mudoch2505,

Could you share us a simple sample using one drive? So we could really repro this issue in our side.

If you test it in other VS2015 machine, how about the result?

If it still has the same issue in other VS2015 machine, I think we would think about the project itself.

I know that you use the VB language, but what the real project type is. Is it related to the WCF like the following thread?

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/56655a97-4a12-4ea9-8ed4-c61cce1cb6dd/visual-studio-service-references-folder-loses-functionality-when-retargeting-to-net-403?forum=wcf

Best Regards,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 08, 2016 10:38 AM