none
BizTalk and Ws-ReliableMessaging RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi guys,

I am having difficulty finding details on how/if BizTalk 2006 R2 supports ws-reliablemessaging or Ws-Reliability.

Could someone provide details?

Further, for other WS-* standards, where can I find out what is supported by BizTalk and how they are implimented?

Kind regards

TM

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:09 PM

Answers

• Actually - the WCF-WSHTTP adapter explicitly doesn't allow you to enable Reliable Sessions (WS-RM).

The reason is that the way an adapter interacts with the message box, to property implement the WS-RM standard, the adapter itself would need to interact with the sender and potentially ask it to resend a message in the sequence.  Since the WCF channel that implements WS-RM doesn't allow the application layer to influence that decision - the WCF Adapter team decided *not* to support WS-RM explicitly.

You can turn it on by using a WCF-Custom adapter and using a binding which enables it - but you won't get the effect you probably want.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:31 PM

All replies

• Since BizTalk 2006 R2 can use WCF, it supports WS-ReliableMessaging, as documented here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480191.aspx. As for other WS-* standards, much of this was implemented in WSE and then in WCF. An overview of WCF mentions its support for WS-*: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms731082.aspx. WS-Security and some other ones are described here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms788756.aspx.

Thanks,

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 3:17 PM
  • Actually - the WCF-WSHTTP adapter explicitly doesn't allow you to enable Reliable Sessions (WS-RM).

The reason is that the way an adapter interacts with the message box, to property implement the WS-RM standard, the adapter itself would need to interact with the sender and potentially ask it to resend a message in the sequence.  Since the WCF channel that implements WS-RM doesn't allow the application layer to influence that decision - the WCF Adapter team decided *not* to support WS-RM explicitly.

You can turn it on by using a WCF-Custom adapter and using a binding which enables it - but you won't get the effect you probably want.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 4:31 PM
  • Is this still not supported in BizTalk Server 2010 is supporting WS-RM ?

Arun

Thursday, October 31, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Hi Jon,

It is great the famous Jon Flanders participates in the forum!!! 

Leonid Ganeline [BizTalk MVP] BizTalk Development Architecture

Thursday, October 31, 2013 5:42 PM
  • If anyone is still reading this...

Could someone explain what "you won't get the effect you probably want" means?

The effect _I_ probably want, is that it works 'not better nor worse' than without WS-RM... could I assume that?

(I have a client that only wants to talk with services that support WS-RM :o)

Thanks!

Frederik

Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:46 PM