none
Todo comments can't be displayed in the tasks list

Question

• Greetings !

I am new to Visual Studio Community 2015, I am wondering if comments like "// todo: some action" add a new line to the tasks list, as the tasks list is supposed to work like so, dosen't it ?

The problem is that, I don't see any of my "todo" comments in the task list.

If you could help me fix  this it would be great, as the todo list is very important to me.

Additional information:

I am using the php tools of DEVSENS so that I can work on PHP projects, so the files I am working on have obviously .php extension.

Thank you in advance ! 

Thursday, May 26, 2016 7:26 AM

Answers

• Hi Fouzyyyy,

I tested again in my another Visual Studio Community 2015 machine which still works fine in that machine.

I suggest you change another machine to check whether there has any problem on your current machine environment.

And in C# project works fine, I think the default TODO list feature in Visual Studio should be correct. The most problem should be related to the PHP tools extension itself. I suggest you contact the tool extension provider to check whether there has any logs which can help us whether there has any installation issue for the PHP tool extension.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 06, 2016 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Fouzyyyy,

According to your description, I install the PHP tools for my Visual Studio Community 2015 with Update 2 and create a default PHP Web application. After I add TODO in the default index.php file, this TODO task listed in Task List windows immediately.

So please check whether you have installed the latest update for your Visual Studio Community 2015. If not, please download and install from below link.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/news/vs2015-update2-vs.aspx

If installed, please check whether you add TODO in the Tools menu -> Options -> Environment -> Task List Tokens list as below screenshot shows. If not listed in the Token list, please add it into this list through the right-side Priority and Name properties.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Sunday, May 29, 2016 6:14 AM
  • Hi Weiwei !

Thank your for your reply; actually I just checked an re-checked my VS version, and in fact it is a 2015 version with the UPDATE 2; so no worries about this.

I checked in the other hand my TaskList Tokens and found the "TODO" keyword in the tokens list as well, I think that it is by default with VS, because I can neither edit it, nor delete it.

I am now wondering if there is an issue that it related to the PHP Tools extension itself, can it be possible ?

Thank you for your support

Monday, May 30, 2016 11:49 PM
  • Hi Fouzyyyy,

Please try add other type files, such as a C# .cs file and then add TODO in this file to check whether it also doesn't show in the Task List.

If other type files also has this issue, please try reset your Visual Studio through Tools -> Import and Export settings -> Reset all settings. And after the reset settings if the problem still exist. please try repair your Visual Studio to check whether this problem can be fixed.

If other type files works fine, the problem may be related to the PHP Tools extension. Please try uninstall and reinstall it again with administrator permission.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, June 01, 2016 1:45 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I just finished trying the several solutions  you gave me above; unfortunatly, none of them worked.

But there is something interesting, it's that with a C# project, the tasks list is updated everytime a new todo statement is added to the source code.

Is there anything else to try ?

Friday, June 03, 2016 10:06 AM
  • Hi Fouzyyyy,

I tested again in my another Visual Studio Community 2015 machine which still works fine in that machine.

I suggest you change another machine to check whether there has any problem on your current machine environment.

And in C# project works fine, I think the default TODO list feature in Visual Studio should be correct. The most problem should be related to the PHP tools extension itself. I suggest you contact the tool extension provider to check whether there has any logs which can help us whether there has any installation issue for the PHP tool extension.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, June 06, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I think also that the issue is related to the php extension I am using, I am going to contact it's provider to report the issue.

I will get back to you as soon as I have something.

Thank you so much for your support

Monday, June 06, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Hi Fouzyyyy,

Any news about this issue from the PHP extension provider, please feel free to let me know. I'm waiting for your response. Thanks.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, June 07, 2016 1:12 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

One of the Devsens (the editor of the php extension I am using) support team said that is very strange, and that we need an online session to figure this out.

I'll ask the support team for a work session tomorrow because today is just impossible for me, because of personnal matters.

I will let you know once there are some news.

Thank you for asking

Monday, June 13, 2016 7:10 PM
  • Hi Weiwei,

We agreed me, and one the DEVSENS support team member on an online working session on friday morning.

I will let you know about the result of this work session.

Regards

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 4:23 PM
  • Hi Weiwei,

I have some news :) our working session was fruitful because we managed to find the issue.

Actually I was working on a web app that was opened as an ASP web site, I don't know how did I fall in a such mistake; so the support guy asked me to reopen the solution as an existing code in a php solution, and it worked.

He said that their extension has a support for some features in ASP apps; but features like // todo, and debugging only work in php projects.

That was it.

Have a nice day, and thank you so much for your support

Friday, June 17, 2016 10:57 AM