none
Cascading reports via drillthrough events in report viewer (remote mode) RS2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a report that has a drillthrough link to another report on it.  From my .NET application housing the report viewer, I can use the drillthrough to get to the next report.  However, the next report also has a drillthrough to yet another report.  Whenever I try to click through the second drillthrough, it blows up with this:

The path of the item'(null') is not valid.  The full path must be less than 260 chracters long...(rsInvalidItemPath)

Can you offer any insight as to why it gets confused?  The drillthrough event is being handled automatically since it is a remote process, yet I am not even sure where to begin troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Friday, May 4, 2007 6:22 PM

All replies

• It looks like an issue on the report server, not in your application.  There should be an exception shown in the report server log file, along with a stack trace.  Will you post that portion of the log file?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 8:05 PM
  • I am having similar issue:

I have a Summary (Parent) and Detail (Child) reports, where I can go back n forth by drillthrough.When I go from parent to child its fine, when I have to browse back to parent,it throw's following error

"The path of the item '(null)' is not valid. The full path must be less than 260 characters long; other restrictions apply. If the report server is in native mode, the path must start with slash. (rsInvalidItemPath) "

Interesting part is after installing VS 2005 SP1; it started working on local box. We don't have studio installed on server!

Any suggestion or comments.

Friday, May 11, 2007 8:39 PM
  • Sorry Brian,

I got pulled into another project and completely forgot to follow up on this until now. 

This is from the log right after I try to go through a second drill-through link:

aspnet_wp!library!6!05/30/2007-16:04:51:: Call to GetReportParametersAction(/Agency/PR Credits/PR Credit Summary).
    aspnet_wp!library!6!05/30/2007-16:04:51:: Call to GetReportParametersAction(/Agency/PR Credits/PR Credit Summary).
    aspnet_wp!library!6!05/30/2007-16:04:58:: i INFO: Call to RenderFirst( '/Agency/PR Credits/PR Credit Summary' )
    aspnet_wp!webserver!6!05/30/2007-16:04:58:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/Agency/PR Credits/PR Credit Summary', Stream=''
    aspnet_wp!library!c!05/30/2007-16:05:05:: i INFO: Call to RenderFirst( '/Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage' )
    aspnet_wp!webserver!c!05/30/2007-16:05:05:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage', Stream=''
    aspnet_wp!library!10!05/30/2007-16:05:05:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.StreamNotFoundException: The stream cannot be found. The stream identifier that is provided to an operation cannot be located in the report server database., ;
     Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.StreamNotFoundException: The stream cannot be found. The stream identifier that is provided to an operation cannot be located in the report server database.
    aspnet_wp!library!1!05/30/2007-16:05:08:: i INFO: Call to RenderNext( '/Agency/PR Credits/PR Credit Summary' )
    aspnet_wp!cache!1!05/30/2007-16:05:08:: i INFO: Session live: /Agency/PR Credits/PR Credit Summary
    aspnet_wp!webserver!1!05/30/2007-16:05:08:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/Agency/PR Credits/PR Credit Summary', Stream=''
    aspnet_wp!library!1!05/30/2007-16:05:11:: i INFO: Call to RenderFirst( '/Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage' )
    aspnet_wp!webserver!1!05/30/2007-16:05:11:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage', Stream=''
    aspnet_wp!library!e!05/30/2007-16:05:13:: i INFO: Call to RenderNext( '/Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage' )
    aspnet_wp!cache!e!05/30/2007-16:05:13:: i INFO: Session live: /Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage
    aspnet_wp!webserver!e!05/30/2007-16:05:13:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage', Stream=''
    aspnet_wp!library!5!05/30/2007-16:05:16:: i INFO: Call to RenderNext( '/Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage' )
    aspnet_wp!cache!5!05/30/2007-16:05:16:: i INFO: Session live: /Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage
    aspnet_wp!webserver!5!05/30/2007-16:05:16:: i INFO: Processed report. Report='/Agency/PR Credits/LeadImage', Stream=''
    aspnet_wp!library!e!05/30/2007-16:05:19:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InvalidItemPathException: The path of the item '(null)' is not valid. The full path must be less than 260 characters long; other restrictions apply. If the report server is in native mode, the path must start with slash., ;
     Info: Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InvalidItemPathException: The path of the item '(null)' is not valid. The full path must be less than 260 characters long; other restrictions apply. If the report server is in native mode, the path must start with slash.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:10 PM
  • Did you get any suggestions on how to resolve this?

I am having a similar issue.

I can drill through to a report.  But the link that is supposed to drill back, yeilds the same error message.

Please adivse on how to resolve this.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 11:52 PM
  •  

I have the same problem.

We are using the RopertViewer (from VS2005) control to show the reports in our ASP.NET web application. We use reportviewer in remote processing. There is a drillthrough link to a child report, which also can drillthrough to a third report. We can view every report on its own without problems. But after the 2nd drillthrough (the same as jcoffee said) I get the same error as mentioned above:

The path of the item'(null') is not valid.  The full path must be less than 260 chracters long...(rsInvalidItemPath)

However, this error only appears by viewing reports with the ReportViewer control. When I access my reports via URL (which is no alternative for our implementation) in the report manager, there are no such problems, every drill-through works.

The drillthrough links do have several parameters. But every drillthrough works if its the first after calling the parent report. So the parameternames and their length are no problem.

I searched quite a lung time for a solution but couldn't find any workaround. So I would be very pleased if there is someone who can help! Smile

Greetings

Jo

Friday, September 21, 2007 10:04 AM
  •  

Hello alltogether!

For all of you with the same problem - try this:

Do not use ASP.NET sessions. Configure the ReportViewer not to use sessions in server mode as shown in http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa983458(VS.80).aspx . To do this, you habe to implement the IReportServerConnection2 . This should solve the drillthrough problem.

Jo

Friday, October 5, 2007 6:20 AM
  •  

Nobody replied after the last post. Does "alltogether" got what they want?

Can anybody possibly give a sample RS web app that uses IReportServerConnection2 ?

It seems its only a theory... sessions are required in my project. so the fix should be is continue using sessions but get rid of this bug(The path of the item'(null') is not valid.  The full path must be less than 260 chracters long...(rsInvalidItemPath))

I only experienced this when I uploaded very minor changes to the prod(Its been working for several months and usually its up to 4 drill throughs from parent report). And I am suspecting the Windows Updates caused the issue. Does it imply we need to leave vsto 2005 and embrace vsto 2008?

Im sorry but its the only reason I have in mind.

Saturday, January 19, 2008 5:42 AM
  • i was having that problem, and then a hit the problem, i was configurating my report on the report viewer the next way

Report server URL: h_ttp://localhost/ReportServer$SQLExpress (i put the underline for avoid hiperlink)

Report Path: h_ttp://localhost/Reports$SQLExpress/example/report.rdl

i was prompted with

then the message said that if i was native mode, the path must be start with slash and i do this

Report server URL: h_ttp://localhost/ReportServer$SQLExpress (i put the underline for avoid hiperlink)

Report Path: /Reports$SQLExpress/example/report.rdl

then same message

i do the next

Report Path: /example/report.rdl

and a new message was prompted

File cannot be found, so i think there was a little one more problem, then i do this

Report Path: /example/report

i write the report name without the extension file (.rdl) and works, hope this helps someone

Thursday, May 29, 2008 3:22 PM
  • You have to build the web site before you click on the play(F5) green button.
    the path shold be: /reporting/<report name>
    Wednesday, July 23, 2008 5:09 PM