When do you need the Windows SDK to build? RRS feed

• Question

• I note the following message from a .NET 3.5 build on our build server:

[exec] Starting 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\MSBuild.exe (\XXX\XXX\XXX.sln /p:Configuration=release;TargetFrameworkVersion=v3.5 /t:build /v:m)' in 'D:\XXX\XXX'
         [exec] Microsoft (R) Build Engine Version 3.5.30729.1
         [exec] [Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0.50727.3053]
         [exec] Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2007. All rights reserved.
         [exec] GetFrameworkPaths:
         [exec]   Could not locate the expected version of the Microsoft Windows SDK. Looked for a location specified in the "InstallationFolder" value of the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A". If your build process does not need the SDK then this can be ignored. Otherwise you can solve the problem by doing one of the following:  1) Install the Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows Server 2008 and .NET Framework 3.5.  2) Install Visual Studio 2008.  3) Manually set the above registry key to the correct location.

So while the application successfully builds, it begs the question: when do I need the Windows SDK? (When the build fails?)

(FYI our build server currently has the .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5 SP1 and 2.0 SDK installed).
    Monday, September 22, 2008 5:07 AM

Answers

• 1. Why don't you ship a cut-down Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SDK?
    You may also submit this issue as a feature request to the following site in the formal way: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/.

After you submit it, we will appreciate it if you can share the feedback address so that it can be found and checked out by other community members having similar issues.

2. The alert feature is broken, i.e. I don't receive emails when people reply.
    You can post this issue in the Bug Reporting for Forums Platform (not product support) forum.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Feng Chen Monday, September 29, 2008 2:28 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2008 2:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Kuke,

Could you please be specific about your project? What are the projects in you solution? C++ projects or C# projects? Did you problem solved if you doing one of the solution indicated by the error message?

I believe the following article would give you some idea:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowssdk/archive/2008/02/22/using-visual-c-2008-express-with-the-windows-sdk-detailed-version.aspx

Thanks,
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't.
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 10:42 AM
  • Hi Rong-Chun,

It's basically a C# WF project to be hosted in SharePoint.

As I said, there's no error - the project builds successfully - it's just: do I really need the Windows SDK and why?

Essentially I'd say the issue is needing to download and install a 1.3 GB file - why not provide a smaller download just for a .NET build [without samples etc]?

[Also, where do I submit issues with these forums "alert" feature not working?]

Thanks,

Peter
    • Edited by Peter_D503 Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:24 AM grammar
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:23 AM

• Hi Kuke,

It seems you don't have Visual Studio 2008 installed on your build server, thus MSBuild ask you to ignore it. Please check if you have some reference from Microsoft Windows SDK.

Another question, how to subscribe the thread? You two option to do this stuff. One you can click the Alert button in the action panel which is under the name of current thread. The other method will subscribe the thread when you create or reply the thread. You can go to 'My Progile' page, then click the 'My Application Settings' link(on the top-right), you can enable this feature by checking the 'Enable Live Alerts by default' Checkbox.

Thanks,
    Rong-Chun Zhang

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't.
    • Proposed as answer by Rong-Chun Zhang Friday, September 26, 2008 12:56 PM
    Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:12 PM

• Perhaps I should rephrase:

1. Why don't you ship a cut-down Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SDK?

Monday, September 29, 2008 12:15 AM
  • 1. Why don't you ship a cut-down Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SDK?
    You may also submit this issue as a feature request to the following site in the formal way: http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/.

After you submit it, we will appreciate it if you can share the feedback address so that it can be found and checked out by other community members having similar issues.

You can post this issue in the Bug Reporting for Forums Platform (not product support) forum.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Feng Chen Monday, September 29, 2008 2:28 AM
    Monday, September 29, 2008 2:28 AM