How to regenerate/renew the certificate of my store app? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

We've published an app to the Windows Store about one year ago. But now the cert has expired. Does anybody know how to re-generate or re-new the cert?

Thank you very much!

• Moved by Jamles Hez Monday, November 11, 2013 3:26 AM
    • Edited by B0L Monday, November 11, 2013 6:45 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 1:46 AM

Answers

• After reading "Renewing a certificate" from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br230260.aspx carefully, I think I only need to renew the cert.

What I should do is as the following:

1. double click the file Package.appxmanifest in VS2012 (This is the VS version I am now using);

2. go to the "Packaging" tab;

3. click the button "Choose Certificate" (Please pay attention that the Publisher DN will be shown here, we will use it in step 6);

4. in the popped up dialog, click "Configure Certificate..." then you will see a list;

5. select the item "Create test certificate..."

6. copy the publisher DN from step 3 to the first editable text field(In our product we don't set any password, so I keep them empty);

7. good luck to enjoy it!

Thank you all very much!

• Marked as answer by B0L Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:29 AM
    • Edited by B0L Monday, November 18, 2013 4:13 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 7:10 AM

All replies

• Hi B0L,

I think this question could be asked at the forum: Publishing Windows Store apps. I will move it there and your question can be replied with professional answers. Thank you for your understanding.

Is your "cert has expired" means your developer account expires?

Best Regards,

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Monday, November 11, 2013 3:26 AM
  • Hi, James,

Thank you very much for moving this question to the right place!

I don't think that the account expires. The error info is as the following:

error APPX0108: The certificate specified has expired. For more information about renewing certificates, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=241478.

It is the cert which has expired. Per MSDN: Certificates are valid for one year after the date when they were created (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br230260%28v=vs.110%29.aspx#renewcert). And our cert has just been one year old!

Thank you very much!

Monday, November 11, 2013 4:00 AM
  • After reading "Renewing a certificate" from http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br230260.aspx carefully, I think I only need to renew the cert.

What I should do is as the following:

1. double click the file Package.appxmanifest in VS2012 (This is the VS version I am now using);

2. go to the "Packaging" tab;

3. click the button "Choose Certificate" (Please pay attention that the Publisher DN will be shown here, we will use it in step 6);

4. in the popped up dialog, click "Configure Certificate..." then you will see a list;

5. select the item "Create test certificate..."

6. copy the publisher DN from step 3 to the first editable text field(In our product we don't set any password, so I keep them empty);

7. good luck to enjoy it!

Thank you all very much!

• Marked as answer by B0L Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:29 AM
    • Edited by B0L Monday, November 18, 2013 4:13 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Hi,

Even i am also facing the same issue and I am new to this publishing process. 

my doubt is, Can we renew the certificate from Store without using visual studio?

Thanks,

Shilpa K

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 5:28 AM
  • run into the same issue just today.
    very annoying.

the build process runs ok, but the app certification kit failed because there is already the same app with another cert (yes of course) installed on the dev machine.

of course i can uninstall it.
    but what frightens me is the question:

will my consumers also have to uninstall their installed app when performing an update?
    =will the update fail for them???

"vertrottelt" would be the term for this in my language...

• Edited by wolfSYS Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:42 PM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2016 1:41 PM
  • Hi. I had the same problem and I guess I solved it by associating the app with the store again (Menu -> Store -> Associate App with Store, or so). I got a new certificate with the same publisher DN. I did not make a new deployment yet, but I guess it should be fine.

Sunday, October 23, 2016 10:15 PM
  • The answer here works for re-generating the Store certificate: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23748071/how-do-i-renew-my-expired-windows-store-app-certificate

1. Generate new test certificate http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/br230260.aspx#Renew
    2. Associate with store app: Project -> Store -> Associate

The key step is #1, if you don't generate a new test certificate, a new Store certificate won't be created during step #2. I'm submitting an update to my app now, hopefully there's no issues... I'll try to update this with my results.

Update: The app update worked successfully! No issues for existing users despite the new certificate. All good :)

• Proposed as answer by wolfSYS Sunday, October 30, 2016 1:26 PM
    • Edited by andrewbares7 Monday, October 31, 2016 5:09 PM
    Saturday, October 29, 2016 8:28 PM
  • I have a Apache Cordova App and the Package.appxmanifest doesn't exists in the Visual Studio 2017. But, if I navigate (in Windows Explorer) to platforms/windows, I find it. 

I try to copy this file to root/www to view in the VS 2017 ant try to open with App Manifest Designer but received an error not specified. How I renew this crazy certificate? 

I try to re-associate with the Store, create a new project and same problem.

• Edited by GilvanDev Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:12 PM
    Thursday, September 14, 2017 4:11 PM
  • Thank you so much for saving me.

It works as a miracle 

Saturday, September 23, 2017 3:50 PM
  • what is the better way to create a cert?

Christian CXM

Monday, January 29, 2018 7:44 PM