none
Vs 2008 Data Designer doesn't generate update/insert/delete statements RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using VS2008 with ODAC/ODT 11g on a Oracle database, on a 32 bit system. I'm modifying somebody else code, to manage new fields added to one table of the database. The oracle database is managed by another company, I access it over vpn with sqldeveloper, with it I can query the database with no problems, but sqldeveloper let me explore only synonims and not table, or queries or other database object.

If I try to reconfigure the tables XSD-generated code with the wizard I end up without the methods for insert/update/deelete: I use a SELECT query which returns alla the new fields, which are added to the xsd definition. I do click the advanced button and select 'Generate Update Insert..' checkbox. The reconfiguration moves on without errors, but the autogenerated classes don't have the update/insert methods. They had it in a previous version but they are not generated again. The table does have a primary key by the way.

• Moved by VMazurModerator Tuesday, June 14, 2011 10:46 AM (From:ADO.NET Managed Providers)
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:41 AM

All replies

• There are some limitations with respect to the Data Designer, but I would make certain that the GenerateDBDirectMethods property of the TableAdapter is set to True if you want these methods created.
    Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:25 PM
  • Hello

Make certain that the table has a primary key identified.  The designer doesn't know how to build a commands to find the record to update or delete or incert unless there is a primary key to find the record.

Floyd

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 6:48 PM