none
Problem with Visual Studio Emulator for Android (API23 - Marshmallow)

Question

• Hi! 

I have a problem with Android emulator for API 23.  When I try to run emulator it stuck on "OS is starting..." and nothing happens. After some time (5-10 min) it display messagebox with a message "Couldn't auto-detect the guest system ip address..." etc. I try run this emulator from the Hyper-V  manager and get next log :

ANDROID init: write_file: Unable to open '/proc/cpu/alignment': No such file or directory

init: write_file : Unable to open '/proc/sys/kernel/sched_compat_yield': No such file or directory

init: write_file : Unable to open '/proc/sys/net/ipu4/fwmark_reflect': No such file or directory

init: write_file : Unable to open '/proc/sys/net/ipu6/fwmark_reflect': No such file or directory

etc.

If anybody get the same problem and fix it or have any ideas, please help me to find a solution. I use AMD proc.

Thanks.

P.S. Android emulators with API < 23 works perfectly.

Saturday, August 20, 2016 6:46 PM

All replies

• Hi dao1408,

The Visual Studio Emulator for Android appears on the network as a separate device with its own IP address. It is not joined to a Windows domain and it does not share domain or workgroup credentials with the host computer.

According to the error message, your Android emulator is not connect to its own ip address. Please check whether your host computer network requires domain or workgroup authorization for basic network and Internet connectivity. If yes, please contact your IT administrator for an exception. This exception allows your development computer to serve as a boundary machine and to accept connections from non-domain-joined network devices like the emulator.

If there doesn't requires domain or workgroup authorization, please tell us the full error message, especially the message after "Couldn't auto-detect the guest system ip address", which often tell us what's the reason cause this issue.

In addition, since I don't have a machine use AMD proc, I could not reproduce your issue in my side. I suggest you change another machine which uses intel proc to check whether this issue related to the processor.

And please check whether your Visual Studio has installed the latest version of Update. If you are using Visual Studio 2015, the latest version of update is Update 3.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 22, 2016 6:00 AM
  • Hi Weiwei!

I work in a small company and we don't have a domain. And we have latest version of VS 2015, Android emulator and another components (with all updates and KBs) on every PC. I search with Google my problem and found the next discussion on stackoverflow (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36373535/visual-studio-emulator-for-android-stuck-at-os-is-starting-only-on-api-lev). This guy get the same problem (logs, messages etc.), but solution isn't found.

I don't check how emulator works on intel procs, and I would try to check this situation in the next few days. But I don't have now any ideas about problem... (because emulators with Android 4 and 5 works fine).

Any ideas?

Best Regards, dao1408!

Monday, August 22, 2016 8:58 PM
  • Hi dao1408,

I have tested in my intel machine that I can start the Visual Studio Emulator for Android (API23 - Marshmallow) successful through my Visual Studio 2015 with Update 3.

Please try reinstall the API23 - Marshmallow and repair your Visual Studio Emulator for Android to check whether there has any problem on the installation. After that, if the problem is still exist, I'm afraid that this issue mostly caused by the AMD processer. Please check the AMD processer configurations through the BIOS to confirm whether there has any configurations are not correct.

Following threads about running Android emulator on AMD Processer, please refer to:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27765457/android-studio-emulator-and-amd-cpu

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31366453/run-android-studio-emulator-on-amd-processor

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 6:26 AM
  • Hi Weiwei!

Reinstalling emulators, VS Emulator for Android, Disabling/Enabling Hyper-V, removing Hyper-V network adapters not solved this problem :(

But I think that problem is not only in my proc. First, another emulators with Android 4/5 works fine without any limitations. Second, I try to run an emulator with Marshmallow on Genymotion and it also works perfect. (But Genymotion isn't a solution because it requires disabling Hyper-V and I can't create versions of my apps for Windows 10, for example...)

So, I think maybe problem not only in Android 6 nor AMD CPU, but in images for devices with API 23...

If you have any thoughts about it, please tell me. Maybe this problem would be fixed in any future release of Visual Studio Emulator for Android...

I hope a solution will be found...

Best regards, dao1408.

• Edited by dao1408 Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:15 PM
  • Hi dao1408,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:54 AM
  • Hi dao1408,

Can you try the answer in this link to see if the issue can be fixed: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/31613607/visual-studio-2015-emulator-for-android-not-working-xde-exe-exit-code-3/31698124#31698124?

1) Repair Android SDK - go to Programs and Features > Microsoft Visual Studio Emulator for Android > Change and hit "Repair"

2) Remove All Hyper-V virtual switches - go to Hyper-V > Virtual switch manager > Remove all virtual switches

3) Run XdeCleanup.exe - In my case: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\10.0.10240.0"

4) In my case I had configured Internet connection sharing on Ethernet adapter before so I had to disable it

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 8:00 AM
  • Yep, I already has tried all this points. Also I try to install emulator on clean system (Win8.1 Pro) and this not works for me... By the way, Marshmallow images in XAP also not works for me. But images in Genymotion works perfectly...
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 2:57 PM