Is there a way to download a VM image from Azure? RRS feed

• Question

• I got a VM Role running for a customer, and now they want to manage the VM image I created.   It would be ideal if they could just download the image somehow.  I looked at the csupload tool (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg466228.aspx), but none of the switches allow me to download a previously uploaded image.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:21 PM

Answers

• No, there's no other way to upload. The image is actually stored in blob storage, but it's a hidden account (managed by the portal and Service Management API).

Since csupload has to communicate with that storage account, there's probably a way to hack something together that lets you download it again... but certainly nothing supported.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:47 PM
  • If you're talking about "cloud construction" (the ability to create and configure a VM image in the cloud, instead of locally), then yes, this is something we're working on.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:07 AM

All replies

• You can't download it directly from the fabric. But presumably you put it into Azure Blob storage and deployed from there. If that's the case you should be able to download it from there using any number of Azure Storage utilities.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:34 PM
  • I thought the same thing at first.  But after uploading a VHD image via csupload (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg465385.aspx), I didn't see it in blob storage.  Is there another way to upload a VHD image?
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 9:54 PM
  • No, there's no other way to upload. The image is actually stored in blob storage, but it's a hidden account (managed by the portal and Service Management API).

Since csupload has to communicate with that storage account, there's probably a way to hack something together that lets you download it again... but certainly nothing supported.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 10:47 PM
  • Thanks Guys.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:07 PM
  • Ideally, one would be able to modify Azure VHDs in the cloud like you can with Amazon EC2.  Does anyone know if that's on the Azure roadmap?
    Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:12 PM
  • In order to update your VM Role, I believe you will need to use a differencing VHD.  If you haven't already, take a look at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg465406.aspx.
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:25 AM
  • Hey Michael, thanks for the input!  My VM Role happens to be running on a differencing VHD as we type. 

A few weeks ago, I thought I remembered seeing a blog post that indicated Microsoft was going to enable VHD management within Azure in 2011.  Have you heard anything like that, or am I just imagining things?
    • Proposed as answer by Marc Loeb Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:34 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Marc Loeb Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:34 AM
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:03 PM
  • If you're talking about "cloud construction" (the ability to create and configure a VM image in the cloud, instead of locally), then yes, this is something we're working on.
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:07 AM
  • Hi Steve

Will this "cloud construction" allow as well to save changes a developer makes to a current VHD? BTW the term reimage in the management portal seems to me a bit confusing, it could not be

• reimage the instance to be the same as the uploaded VHD OR
    • reimage the vhd to be the same as the current instance

Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:34 AM

Hi Steve,

This sounds interesting. Could you please give few more details. You mean we wont be needing any Hyper-V server for creating the base images?

If this post answers your question, please mark it as an answer. If this post is helpful to you, then vote it as helpful.
    TechyFreak | Mobile Development Resources
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:51 PM
  • Freaky roach, yes, that's what it means.

Marc, it's too early to speculate on the exact features, so I don't know if it will include the ability to capture an image of a running machine.

Do you have a suggestion for a better term than "reimage"?

Friday, February 25, 2011 6:53 AM
  • Hi Steve

the nice thing about reimage is that it is short and it is shown in the part instance of the Management Portal. In a way it is clear when you think about it, but from first sight it was not to me and I saw it is not to others. I would use a term like:

• Reload image
    • Reset to image
    • Paste image

Friday, February 25, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hi Steve

the nice thing about reimage is that it is short and it is shown in the part instance of the Management Portal. In a way it is clear when you think about it, but from first sight it was not to me and I saw it is not to others. I would use a term like:

• Reload image
    • Reset to image
    • Paste image

agree on something like "Reset"
    Friday, February 25, 2011 9:45 PM