Problem Collecting User-Mode Dumps using LocalDumps registry settings RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to collect the crash dump for my sample application using the LocalDump registry key. But for some reason, the dumps are always getting collected at C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue.

I have written a sample console application in VS 2008 with .net 3.5 to simulate the crash.I have set the following registry keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\

DumpFolder              C:\test

DumpCount               10

DumpType                 2

Do I need to setup something else in order to get the dump at “C:\Test” ?

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Tuesday, April 26, 2011 1:59 AM forum consolidation (From:Windows Error Reporting for ISVs)
    Friday, May 14, 2010 1:58 PM

Answers

• BabiDesai,

Unfortunately, this won't work for in .NET 2.0–3.5 (basically, any CLR-V2-based framework). LocalDumps is a feature of OS error reporting and on these framework versions, the CLR has implemented it's own error-reporting infrastructure.

In .NET Framework 4.0, when running on Windows 7, this will work. (In 4.0 the CLR is leveraging some new OS extensibility APIs which give us this functionality).

For now, you can register a debugger to automatically capture a dump when a process crashes, but unfortunately, this does have the effect of disabling error-reporting. See http://blogs.msdn.com/clrteam/archive/2009/10/15/automatically-capturing-a-dump-when-a-process-crashes.aspx for more details on how to do this.

Regards,
    Jon

• Marked as answer by BabiDesai Friday, June 11, 2010 2:48 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 6:34 PM

All replies

• BabiDesai,

Unfortunately, this won't work for in .NET 2.0–3.5 (basically, any CLR-V2-based framework). LocalDumps is a feature of OS error reporting and on these framework versions, the CLR has implemented it's own error-reporting infrastructure.

In .NET Framework 4.0, when running on Windows 7, this will work. (In 4.0 the CLR is leveraging some new OS extensibility APIs which give us this functionality).

For now, you can register a debugger to automatically capture a dump when a process crashes, but unfortunately, this does have the effect of disabling error-reporting. See http://blogs.msdn.com/clrteam/archive/2009/10/15/automatically-capturing-a-dump-when-a-process-crashes.aspx for more details on how to do this.

Regards,
    Jon

• Marked as answer by BabiDesai Friday, June 11, 2010 2:48 PM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Hi,

I tried with the above registry settings with VS2010 and .net framework 4 on Windows 7 machine

But it did not generate the dump for managed application.

Is there some other settings that needs to be set?

Friday, June 18, 2010 8:22 PM