SharePoint 2010 FBA RRS feed

• Question

• I have been involved to develop a customized SharePoint 2010 application that uses a custom db for authentication.

Following many tutorials on the internet I was successfully able to implement FBA and the site is up and running for further content development (using BI features of SharePoint).

However, I recently came across a comment on one of the websites (dont have the link now) - For FBA, its better to extend a windows based authentication website, as administration of website becomes easy.

I wanted to know:

1. Is this statement correct?
    2. Even if I am only targetting non-AD users over the internet (and using only my custom db for authentication), is it necessary to extend from a windows based authentication web app?
    3. Should an FBA web app be extended from windows based or vice versa?
    4. What are the pros and cons of either case?

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 7:28 AM

Answers

• Not sure what the poster was aiming at when het commented: For fba, it's better to extend....

But i assume that means that it sometimes is more convenient to have windows based access to your site.

the only way to have both windows based and FBA bases access without a lot of issue is extending.

First of all: is it neccessary : NO

Can it be convenient: Yes, because for isntance, search still relies on windows authentication, management settings that need file based access still need windows authentication. and there are several more settings/properties that "need" or "require" windows based authentication.

If you do'n't need/use any of these features, that you might not need to extend you web application.

As fas as i know it doesn't matter if you start of of FBA or Windows based when extending.

2 "application" will be created each with there own entrance, but they finally end up at the same data.

Pros and cons are depending on the features needed.

Willing to learn everything about Sharepoint there is to learn. My blog
    • Marked as answer by xyzee Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:53 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:12 AM

All replies

• Not sure what the poster was aiming at when het commented: For fba, it's better to extend....

But i assume that means that it sometimes is more convenient to have windows based access to your site.

the only way to have both windows based and FBA bases access without a lot of issue is extending.

First of all: is it neccessary : NO

Can it be convenient: Yes, because for isntance, search still relies on windows authentication, management settings that need file based access still need windows authentication. and there are several more settings/properties that "need" or "require" windows based authentication.

If you do'n't need/use any of these features, that you might not need to extend you web application.

As fas as i know it doesn't matter if you start of of FBA or Windows based when extending.

2 "application" will be created each with there own entrance, but they finally end up at the same data.

Pros and cons are depending on the features needed.

Willing to learn everything about Sharepoint there is to learn. My blog
    • Marked as answer by xyzee Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:53 AM
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:12 AM
  • Dear Vanglabbeek,

Thank you for the answer. It answers most of my concerns.

Underline - For FBA, its not absolutely necessary to extend from/to (order doesnt really matter) a windows based web app. It totally depends on the kind of functionality intended in the app, like may be crawling, BI features.

I added BI related features here because I have been trying to impersonate and start PPS services in my FBA web app since morning without luck.

Between these replies I actually extended the FBA app to a windows based app and did the PPS work from the windows based app. And to my delight, all the PPS work was accessible to an FBA user!

Thanks again!

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:53 AM