SQL Express database limits carry over to other editions RRS feed

• Question

• I took a database backup from SQL Server Express 2008 and restored it to a Developer instance of 2008 and a Standard edition of 2008 and on both the database size limit of 4 GB was in effect.  Do I need to upgrade the database some other way?
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 4:38 PM

Answers

• Hello,

That is strange. You should be able to open a database greater that 4 GB with SQL Server Standard or Developer. Install latest service packs on the Standard Edition and Developer Edition instances. Try moving the databases using detach/attach method.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189625(v=SQL.100).aspx

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Keshav Ramarao Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Oliwa Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Oliwa Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:02 PM

All replies

• Hello,

That is strange. You should be able to open a database greater that 4 GB with SQL Server Standard or Developer. Install latest service packs on the Standard Edition and Developer Edition instances. Try moving the databases using detach/attach method.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189625(v=SQL.100).aspx

Hope this helps.   

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Keshav Ramarao Wednesday, September 15, 2010 5:46 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Oliwa Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by Oliwa Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 11:02 PM
  • The database I was moving was under 4GB, but it had a table that was about 2.5GB and after I restored the database on Developer 2008 (latest SP installed) when I tried duplicating that table I got an error saying I've gone over the 4GB limit.  I even verified the file was set to unrestricted growth.

I'll try the detach/attach method.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 5:21 PM
  • Hi Oliwa,

There is not database size limitation for SQL Server 2008 Developer and Standard Editions. To ensure that instances which express databases restored to is Standard or Developer, please run SELECT @@VERSION.

As Alberto said, you may try detach/attach to see if it works. If you get the same error message, please post the complete error message and the steps you processed?

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Monday, September 13, 2010 6:55 AM