none
Unable to launch “User and Group Accounts” dialogue box in *.mde file when running an Access 2003 application in 2016. RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Access 2003 database application with user-level security which now needs to run on Access 2016.  I’ve made all necessary updates so it runs almost without a hitch in Access 2016.  Everything works fine except for being able to open the “User and Group Accounts” dialogue box when I save it as an *.mde file.  I have a command button with the following “On Click: [Event Procedure]:

Private Sub CmndSecurity_Click()

On Error GoTo Err_CmndSecurity_Click

' check if current user is in Admins

If CurrentUserInGroup("Admins") = True Then

'Displays the Security User and Group Accounts dialog box

RunCommand (acCmdUserAndGroupAccounts)

Else

' If current user is not in the Admins group display the following message

MsgBox ("You must have Admins permission to access Security Accounts")

End If

Exit_CmndSecurity_Click:

Exit Sub

Err_CmndSecurity_Click:

MsgBox Err.Description

Resume Exit_CmndSecurity_Click

End Sub

When I click on the command button in the *.mdb file the “User and Group Accounts” dialogue box opens successfully.  However, when I save my application as an *.mde file and click on the command button, the following error occurs:   “Microsoft Access has stopped working 

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.”

Any idea why it works in the *.mdb version and not the *.mde version?

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Hank61,

below line does not work when you save the database as .mde because at that time this command is not available.

RunCommand (acCmdUserAndGroupAccounts)

I got error below.

if you open the "Info" from file Tab then you will see that it is not available there.

but if you check the .mdb version then you can see that option is available on user interface.

so you can understand now why it's not working.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 27, 2017 5:47 AM
  • One should also suggest that because this feature set is deprecated / discontinued: one might reflect on whether taking time to attempt to prolong it is the appropriate use of development resources.

I have found that excessive frugality in the end becomes expensive......

Friday, January 27, 2017 8:42 PM