Specifying Additional Deployment Files RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering how you specify additional deployment files.  I have a COM object that is dependant on the MFC libraries and I need to download them as part of the build deployment from Visual Studio 2005.

I would like to put these MFC dll's in the Windows directory and not the deployment directory for the component.

My assumption is that I need to specify them in the project properties under Configuration Properties | Deployment | Additional Files.  The prompt in the popup help on the dialog is cut off and I cannot read the entire prompt which from what I see requires me to specify a path.  Using the ? for additional help provides no information about the format and I have not been able to locate more information on line.

Friday, October 14, 2005 4:52 PM

Answers

• The format is really archaic, it was supposed to be replaced with a builder dialog box that abstracted everything away, but that was cut. The spec for this says that you need <filename>|<source directory>|<remote directory>|<register (either 0 for no reg, or 1 for register)>. IIRC you should not add "\" to the end of the directories. If you want to see how this should look, you can create a new MFC application, and change the library usage to "Use MFC in a shared DLL" and then look at the additional files property for that project. Then just copy and paste that into your application properties :)

Regarding the string being clipped, do you have large fonts turned on for your user account?

Jeff Abraham
    Visual Studio
    Friday, October 14, 2005 5:16 PM

All replies

• The format is really archaic, it was supposed to be replaced with a builder dialog box that abstracted everything away, but that was cut. The spec for this says that you need <filename>|<source directory>|<remote directory>|<register (either 0 for no reg, or 1 for register)>. IIRC you should not add "\" to the end of the directories. If you want to see how this should look, you can create a new MFC application, and change the library usage to "Use MFC in a shared DLL" and then look at the additional files property for that project. Then just copy and paste that into your application properties :)

Regarding the string being clipped, do you have large fonts turned on for your user account?

Jeff Abraham
    Visual Studio
    Friday, October 14, 2005 5:16 PM
  • Jeff,

I do have large fonts on.

I did finally notice that there was a popup display if I hovered over the text.  I was able to see that.

Building the MFC test project provided everything I needed.

Thanks.

Alicia
    Friday, October 14, 2005 5:26 PM
  • One minor note about this - the method Jeff suggests does provide the correct format for specifying the files.  A problem I found was that the instruction displayed when the field is highlighted reads "The semicolon-separated list ..." which led me to use semicolons instead of the vertical bar that is the delimiter.
    Tuesday, December 27, 2005 10:16 PM
  • Yeah, this text obviously didn't get vetted by a usability study :) This is what happens when the developers run amok. The semi-colon separator comment refers to the separation of file|dir|dir|reg components in the list of files, rather than the separation of the individual parts of a file|dir|dir|reg component. If you squint, and look at it from just such an angle, it all makes perfect sense. Cheers!

Jeff Abraham
    Visual Studio

Thursday, January 5, 2006 11:28 PM