unable to find a suitable d3d graphics device RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello

I ´m having problems with robotics studio simulation. My simulations was working fine but yesterday my system frozen then make a hardreset, after that the simulations didn´t work any more.

when i tried to run the samples.

I got a red screen:

"Unable to find suitable D3D device. This simulator requires a a graphics device that supports v2.0 progammable shaders.

Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.DeviceNotSupportedException: External component has thrown an exception.

at Microsoft.Xna.Framwork.Graphics.Graphicsadapter.GetCapabilities(DeviceType deviceType)

at Microsoft.Robotics.Simulation.Engine.SimulationEngine.Initialize(Control renderTarget, SimulaterUI topLevelWindow)Rendering is disabled because the physics engine will continue to run.

I had tried some things.

First removed robotics studio 1.5, ageia physics, xna, and after re-installed. but this don´t resolve the problem.

my Directx is 9c

any body has an idea about how resolve this problem

Regards

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:40 AM

Answers

• Since simulation worked at one time on your system, you have hardware that will support the simulator.  I think that you should replace or update your graphics driver.  Go to the hardware device manager on your computer and see if it reports any problems with your graphics driver.  It is possible that something went wrong when your system froze and it is no longer using the proper graphics driver.

-Kyle

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:42 PM

All replies

• Since simulation worked at one time on your system, you have hardware that will support the simulator.  I think that you should replace or update your graphics driver.  Go to the hardware device manager on your computer and see if it reports any problems with your graphics driver.  It is possible that something went wrong when your system froze and it is no longer using the proper graphics driver.

-Kyle

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 11:42 PM
  • Hello,

having the same problem :

We had a fine running nVidia 8800 GTS - System,

we installed Robotics Studio 1.5 and the included DirectX.

The same day (without restarting Windows XP) everything worked fine.

The next day after rebooting, DirectX doesn't recognize the graphics hardware anymore.

We tried installing the newest drivers (175.16) , newest DirectX (June 08), still nothing works.

Can it happen, that there are some language issues ? We use a german XP (and german DX9) and Robotic Studio seems to have installed some english dll's.

Any ideas to solve the problem ?

Is there a solution to force a complete directx -reinstall ?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:13 PM
  • I might be wrong but... I got the same issue. Sometimes that I run the code it gives me the red screen and sometimes it does not. I think the problem is with the port. Sometimes the port might be busy. Maybe if you wait for couple of min, it works!!!! Or release the port.

• Proposed as answer by Patch40 Saturday, January 22, 2011 5:50 PM
    Friday, March 6, 2009 12:07 AM
  • I had the same thing happen to me - in the middle of a school openhouse, my Computer Science / Robotics Club demo just stopped working (ouch).
    The advice in the threads proved unusefull, so I tried to figure out what I might have done to cause the simulator to fail...
    I was projecting my demo thru an LCD projector which had a lower res (1024x768) than my laptop (1600x900). This in itself was not a problem - my laptop automatically sensed the lower res limitation, resized the laptop res and the simulation ran fine on both screens.
    However, I was running multiple applications including Alice 2.2 and was switching between them continuously. As such, I manually resized the res while the simulation was running. This is what I think caused the failure.
    The strange thing is that the problem persisted even after shutting down and restarting. Apparently, if MSVSE expects a certain screen resolution while the pc/laptop is in another, it will generate the 'red screen of death'.
    Running the simulation in low res worked and I was able to switch to high res while the sim was running and it has run correctly ever since!
    Hope this helps.
    • Proposed as answer by Patch40 Saturday, January 22, 2011 9:20 PM
    Saturday, January 22, 2011 6:28 PM