Understand linq expression RRS feed

• Question

• User-930352495 posted

I have an entity named ItemBoxSup ( in table on db) and i have a method in which i pass list of items from extern of some type: ItemBoxLists.

What i want to insert a check in or to see if there is atleast an existing item in my db in ItemBoxSup  with a flag set to true ,

but i dont sure if i have to write :

_context.ItemBoxSup.Any(y => y.IsActive == true) // using context

or i can use directly 

.Any(y => y.IsActive == true)  // or more concise

because i dont understand if y is referred to item on table on db and if x is referred to items in the lists that i pass to method.

public void ItemChecks(IEnumerable<ItemBoxSup> ItemBoxLists)
    {

var results=context.ItemBoxSup.Include(x => x.ItemBox) .Where(y => !y.IsDeleted && ItemBoxLists.Any(x => x.Id != y.Id && x.ItemBoxId == y.ItemBoxId || _context.ItemBoxSup.Any(y => y.IsActive == true)).ToList();
    // i can write? || Any(y => y.IsActive == true)).ToList()

thanks to those who will help me understand.

Wednesday, September 9, 2020 5:02 PM

All replies

• User-1330468790 posted

Hi first100,

Could you please share the model for "ItemBoxSup" and "ItemBox"? 

I also need the relationship between those two models so that I could tell you how you could construct the linq statement.

Thank you for understanding.

Apart from that, I think some tips might be useful to help you better understanding.

• You could include the external ItemBoxLists into the condition with Any() method (which will return a bool value)
    • x or y is the exactly same here which both represent ItemBoxSup so that you could access any member/property of ItemBoxSup using x or y
    • You might be interested in Exists method which is used to determines whether the List<T> contains elements that match the conditions defined by the specified predicate. 
    •  Directly traverse the given list to see if it exists in the database
      public async Task<bool> IsIdListValid(IEnumerable<int> idList) =>
          idList.Any(id => !_context.Foo.Any(f => f.id == id));

Hope this can help you.

Best regards,

Sean

Thursday, September 10, 2020 7:20 AM