none
Where to start - C# RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm new to C# and C++, but had a better understanding of C# from Java so I decided to go C#. I have looked though all the stuff and examples and have gotten the kinect sensor to move but am a little taken aback by all the huge steps to get the kinect to just show what it sees on the camera! so my quesion to all of you is: where should I start to learn all of this? Or how should I appoarch learning all of this?

Thanks to whoever can help.

EDIT: oh and I realized the Title is a little confusing and misleading, sorry about that. Im looking for help
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:50 PM

Answers

• Under documentation on the main site are detailed walkthroughs of the code, have you read those? If not that's the best place to start. It really doesn't take much to get up and running with the Kinect SDK. The most confusing part is really drawing the skeleton on the screen in the SkeletonTracker. There are three streams with the SDK so they show you how to use each. Color and depth are basically the same except the depth buffer is not in a format you can load directly into WPF so you have to convert it. Skeleton tracking is pretty simple conceptually, it tells you were, I think, 21 body parts are, i.e. hand, foot, elbow, ect. Drawing a stick figure on the screen gives you a visual representation of it.

An additional resource is the Coding4Fun Kinect project. Or maybe it's Channel 9. Whichever you care to call it there are links to it throughout the SDK pages. Pretty much everywhere except the individual forum pages. Overall MS makes extensive resources available to programmers for free. They have always excelled at documentation and developer support. I haven't always particularly cared for their developer tools, but the documentation has always been top notch and their developer tools have gotten far better. So, to me, if you're going to do Windows development then it's best to be familar with the extensive resources they make freely available.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:17 PM

All replies

• Under documentation on the main site are detailed walkthroughs of the code, have you read those? If not that's the best place to start. It really doesn't take much to get up and running with the Kinect SDK. The most confusing part is really drawing the skeleton on the screen in the SkeletonTracker. There are three streams with the SDK so they show you how to use each. Color and depth are basically the same except the depth buffer is not in a format you can load directly into WPF so you have to convert it. Skeleton tracking is pretty simple conceptually, it tells you were, I think, 21 body parts are, i.e. hand, foot, elbow, ect. Drawing a stick figure on the screen gives you a visual representation of it.

An additional resource is the Coding4Fun Kinect project. Or maybe it's Channel 9. Whichever you care to call it there are links to it throughout the SDK pages. Pretty much everywhere except the individual forum pages. Overall MS makes extensive resources available to programmers for free. They have always excelled at documentation and developer support. I haven't always particularly cared for their developer tools, but the documentation has always been top notch and their developer tools have gotten far better. So, to me, if you're going to do Windows development then it's best to be familar with the extensive resources they make freely available.

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:17 PM
  • I have taken java and would recommend trying visual basic or C++ before using C# and that would help you learn faster. As C# is a mix between visual basic and C++ as a programmer once explained in a forum in here somewhere.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 2:24 PM