How do I fix the TfsOlapReportDS user problem? RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently unable to run any TFS reports.

The error message is:

An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
    Cannot create a connection to data source 'TfsOlapReportDS'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)
    For more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local server machine, or enable remote errors

Is it possible to delete and recreate the 'TfsOlapReportDS' user account?
    Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Staffan,

Just so that I'm sure that we've walked through everything, I"ll just detail out the steps again - could you provide me with your results?

The error:

1. On the report server machine, navigate to: http://localhost/reports
    2. Click on a project folder.
    3. Click on Related Work Items report.

-- are you getting this error?

Cannot create a connection to data source 'TfsOlapReportDS'. rsErrorOpeningConnection)
    The connection string is not valid.

Verify the data source:

1. There should be two items called "TfsOlapReportDS" and "TfsReportDS" present on this web page with the Data Source icon next to them.
    2. Click on TfsOlapReportDS.
    3. Is "Enable this data source" marked?
    4. Is the connection type "Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services" ?
    5. Is the connection string like this?  "Data source=<DataTierName>;initial catalog=TfsWarehouse"
    6. Is "Credentials stored securely in the report server" marked?
    7. Is "Use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source" marked?
    8. Enter in the password for the user connecting to the data source again, just to verify it's correct. Click Apply.

Verify the account has access to the cube:

The user account credentials provided to TfsOlapReportDS needs to be a part of the TfsWarehouseDataReader role on the cube. 

1. Connect to Analysis Services on the data tier using SQL Server Management Studio.
    2. Click on "Databases" to expand that node. -- TfsWarehouse should be a child.
    3. Click on "Roles" - TfsWarehouseDataReader should be a child.
    4. Right click on TfsWarehouseDataReader and select Properties.
    5. Click "Membership"
      • Is the user account used in the data source a member of this role?

Please let me know the answers to these questions then we can determine how to proceed.

Thanks,

mauli

Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:20 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Were you able to resolve this problem? please let me know if i can help further.

thanks!

mauli

Monday, June 19, 2006 7:30 PM

All replies

• Hi Gary,

To get more information about the error, on the report server machine, navigate to http://localhost/reports and then click on a report.  Then we'll be in a better position to know how to proceed.

I am not sure what you mean about delete/recreate the TfsOlapReportDS user account.  You can modify the user account that is being used to connect to the warehouse. 

1. Navigate to http://<reportserver>/reports
    2. There should be two items called "TfsOlapReportDS" and "TfsReportDS" present on this web page with the Data Source icon next to them.
    3. Click on TfsOlapReportDS.
    4. On this page, you can modify the user account that connects to the olap cube.  -- make sure that this user account is a member of the TfsWarehouseDataReader role on the TfsWarehouse cube.

let me know if that helps!

mauli

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 12:53 AM
  • Hello Mauli,

To recreate the problem:
    - navigate to http://localhost/reports
    - select Team Project called SIDES
    - select Work Items report

Observe the following error message:

Cannot create a connection to data source 'TfsOlapReportDS'. rsErrorOpeningConnection)
    Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:29 AM
  • >> 4. On this page, you can modify the user account that connects
    >> to the olap cube.  -- make sure that this user account is a member of the
    >> TfsWarehouseDataReader role on the TfsWarehouse cube

How do I make sure that TfsOlapReportDS is a member of the TfsWarehouseDataReader role on the TfsWarehouse cube?

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 3:40 AM
  • hi gary,

can you navigate to the TfsOlapReportDS and verify that the connection type is "Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services" and the connection string is like this: "Data source=<DataTierName>;initial catalog=TfsWarehouse"

The user account credentials provided to this data source needs to be a part of the TfsWarehouseDataReader role on the cube.  You can see which user account you're providing to the data source by following the directions in the post. 

To check what user accounts are part of the TfsWarehouseDataReader role:

1. Connect to Analysis Services on the data tier using SQL Server Management Studio.
    5. Click "Membership" -- you should see the members of this role.

mauli

Tuesday, March 21, 2006 7:34 PM
  • Hi Gary,

Were you able to resolve this problem? please let me know if i can help further.

thanks!

mauli

Monday, June 19, 2006 7:30 PM
  • Hi Mauli,

Im having similar problems.  I verified everything posted and I still have the same error mentioned by the original owner.  What else needs to be checked?

The reports worked fine in Beta3, but once we upgraded to RTM they havent worked.

Please help

Thanks,
    Staffan

Friday, July 21, 2006 7:23 PM
  • Hi Staffan,

Just so that I'm sure that we've walked through everything, I"ll just detail out the steps again - could you provide me with your results?

The error:

1. On the report server machine, navigate to: http://localhost/reports
    2. Click on a project folder.
    3. Click on Related Work Items report.

-- are you getting this error?

Verify the data source:

1. There should be two items called "TfsOlapReportDS" and "TfsReportDS" present on this web page with the Data Source icon next to them.
    2. Click on TfsOlapReportDS.
    3. Is "Enable this data source" marked?
    4. Is the connection type "Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services" ?
    5. Is the connection string like this?  "Data source=<DataTierName>;initial catalog=TfsWarehouse"
    6. Is "Credentials stored securely in the report server" marked?
    7. Is "Use as Windows credentials when connecting to the data source" marked?
    8. Enter in the password for the user connecting to the data source again, just to verify it's correct. Click Apply.

Verify the account has access to the cube:

The user account credentials provided to TfsOlapReportDS needs to be a part of the TfsWarehouseDataReader role on the cube. 

1. Connect to Analysis Services on the data tier using SQL Server Management Studio.
    5. Click "Membership"
      • Is the user account used in the data source a member of this role?

Please let me know the answers to these questions then we can determine how to proceed.

Thanks,

mauli

Thursday, July 27, 2006 6:20 PM
  • Hello Mauil,

I'm also having the same problems and it started all of a sudden. I've had access to the reports for months and now I get the said error message.

I've ran through your suggestions on this post but to no avail.   If anyone else has experienced this problem and found a solution, that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Devin

Friday, January 12, 2007 4:07 PM
  • thx Mauli, did it!
    Monday, April 30, 2007 12:49 AM
  • I saw no databases at all in step 2 of "Verify the account has access to the cube"

Pete

Monday, April 30, 2007 5:46 PM
  • Remember an IISReset will resolve any broken connections IIS is holding, assuming them valid.

Regards,

Gary

Friday, November 2, 2007 11:15 AM
  •  

You have to add the TFSREPORTS Account as local Admin to the application tier server. This will solve the problem.
    Friday, January 4, 2008 12:00 PM
  • Instead of elevating the permissions for TFSREPORTS Account by adding it to local admins group, make sure that the TFSREPORTS Account has "Allow log on locally" permission (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Settings).
    Wednesday, March 19, 2008 6:46 PM
  • I had the same problem which was not solved by the "Allow log on locally" fix until I removed the same account from "Deny log on locally" !!!!

Hope this helps.

Matt
    Friday, January 9, 2009 2:00 PM
  • thanks for your excellent description regarding Report generation problem.

ankarao
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:34 AM
  • I am facing same problem while running the reports and also reports node is red crossed in team explorer I did the everything and checked all the mentioned area everything is seems ok but still have problem.

Due to that I am not able to create a new team project and also not able to run the TFS admin tool.
    verma
    Friday, May 1, 2009 5:03 PM
  • Thanks for your excellent description regarding Report generation problem. I got same issue resoved.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Praveen did you get this resolved. I am facing same issues in TFS2010 upgrade scenerio.

Thanks

Friday, September 10, 2010 2:16 PM
  • I was also having this issue and Mauli Shah suggestion was very helpful, however, the key to fixing mine was not in the username, but with the connection string itself. 

If I used the following, which is what it was set to originally:

Data Source=myserveraliasname;Initial Catalog=Tfs_Analysis

- This failed, always

However, this worked

Data Source=(local);Initial Catalog=Tfs_Analysis

In my opinion, the 2nd connection string actually seems less correct than the 1st one, so trying this did not occur to me for some time. Also, I am not actually sure why they BOTH don't work..?

Kurt
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:55 PM
  • One more thing to consider...

I had a contractor in house for the initial configuration and installation.  We are seeing the exact same issue with no changes at all to the system.  Roughly 90 days (password expiration) after the install.

We are looking into the local account administrations and making sure this isn't the issue.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:59 PM