Error: No value given for one or more required parameters RRS feed

• Question

• User186553308 posted

Hi.. Im getting error: No value given for one or more required parameters. in following code. I checked the code n found that if i remove cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("PERIOD", period); from code and [period] = ? from command text, everything works fine. I am not getting what is wrong with period.
    I am using access database and every field in database is text.
    string period;
    public void calc()
    {
    //Calculation of Period
    if (rad3.Checked == true)
    period = "3";
    else if (rad6.Checked == true)
    period = "6";
    else if (rad9.Checked == true)
    period = "9";
    else if (rad12.Checked == true)
    period = "12";
    }
    public void button_click(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    calc();
    cmd.CommandText = "update members set [password] = ?, [name] = ?, [city] = ?, [state] = ?, [address] = ?, [email] = ?, [period] = ? where (userid = ?)";
    cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("PASSWORD", txtpass.Text);
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("NAME", txtname.Text);
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("CITY", txtcity.Text);
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("STATE", txtstate.Text);
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("ADDRESS", txtadd.Text);
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("EMAIL", txtemail.Text);
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("PERIOD", period);
    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("USERID", txtuid.Text);
    }

Hi.. Im getting ERROR: No value given for one or more required parameters. in following code. When I checked the code, I found that if i remove cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("PERIOD", period); from code and [period] = ? from command text, everything works fine. I am not getting what is wrong with period. 

I am using access database and every field in database is text.

string period;

public void calc()

{

//Calculation of Period

if (rad3.Checked == true)

period = "3";

else if (rad6.Checked == true)

period = "6";

else if (rad9.Checked == true)

period = "9";

else if (rad12.Checked == true)

period = "12";

}

public void button_click(object sender, EventArgs e)

{

calc();

cmd.CommandText = "update members set [password] = ?, [name] = ?, [city] = ?, [state] = ?, [address] = ?, [email] = ?, [period] = ? where ([userid] = ?)";

cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text;

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("PASSWORD", txtpass.Text);

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("NAME", txtname.Text);

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("CITY", txtcity.Text);

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("STATE", txtstate.Text);

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("ADDRESS", txtadd.Text);

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("EMAIL", txtemail.Text);

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("PERIOD", period);

cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("USERID", txtuid.Text);

con.Open();

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();

con.Close();

MessageBox.Show(" " + txtuid.Text + " Updated Successfully..");

}

Plz help me.. I am not getting what is wrong with this code...

Saturday, September 25, 2010 5:32 AM

Answers

• User-1199946673 posted

Im getting ERROR: No value given for one or more required parameters

There are 2 reasons why you have this error. The first is exactly what the error says, you didn't specify one or more parameters. Since you're using questionmarks as parameter, I count the number of questionmarks and compare that to the number of parameters. Both are 8, so that ain't it.... The second reason is that you misspelled one or more field or tablenames, which will not be recognized by Access (better said jet), and then will be interpreted as a parameter. I think you have found the answer yourself:

When I checked the code, I found that if i remove cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("PERIOD", period); from code and [period] = ? from command text, everything works fine

Most likely, Period is not an existing fieldname in your table?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:22 AM

All replies

• User-1199946673 posted

Im getting ERROR: No value given for one or more required parameters

There are 2 reasons why you have this error. The first is exactly what the error says, you didn't specify one or more parameters. Since you're using questionmarks as parameter, I count the number of questionmarks and compare that to the number of parameters. Both are 8, so that ain't it.... The second reason is that you misspelled one or more field or tablenames, which will not be recognized by Access (better said jet), and then will be interpreted as a parameter. I think you have found the answer yourself:

When I checked the code, I found that if i remove cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("PERIOD", period); from code and [period] = ? from command text, everything works fine

Most likely, Period is not an existing fieldname in your table?

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, September 25, 2010 10:22 AM
  • User1867929564 posted

in ur calc() function put else in the last
    else
    period = "";

also check if any field can be null then allow null from table itself(field property,allow zero length)
    If all field are not mandatory.

Also debug and check that you are getting the value in  string period just before insert.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:10 AM
  • User1491597376 posted

hey buddy you are changing value of period variable in a method............and in local scope its value is not changed........(means not specified) SO instead of doing that in a method jus copy your code inside your button click event.

Mark as answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 4:25 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

in ur calc() function put else in the last
    else
    period = "";

also check if any field can be null then allow null from table itself(field property,allow zero length)

hey buddy you are changing value of period variable in a method............and in local scope its value is not changed........(means not specified) SO instead of doing that in a method jus copy your code inside your button click event.

Even if what the both of you're saying is true, this doesn't explain the error. Because when a required field is assigned a null value, this only will cause an error when the query gets executed. However, this error means that the query can't even be executed, because Access (Jet) finds more unknown identifiers (each questionmark is considered to be another identifier) than parameters ware assigned to them, so the query wil not be executed. Once all parameters are specified, then the query will be executed, will can result in other errors because of constraints of datatype mismatch (for example trying to put a string into a numeric field)

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 5:19 AM
  • User1867929564 posted

[

Because when a required field is assigned a null value, this only will cause an error when the query gets executed.

I never said that assign null to require field.What I meant is if field is not mandatory then from database you can 'Allow Zero Length'

Or If field is require then you can check mandatory in the front end itself.

Sorry for language.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:05 AM
  • User-1199946673 posted

I never said that assign null to require field.What I meant is if field is not mandatory then from database you can 'Allow Zero Length'

Or If field is require then you can check mandatory in the front end itself.

I know what you mean, I'm just saying that what your saying, even if this true, is NOT causing this error. Do a simple test and see for yourself that in all you scenarios you don't get this error. You might get an error in some cases, but not this one. So basicly, you're answering on a question that hasn't been asked.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:17 AM