Registering MMC snap-in in "Computer Management" tool RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to register a snap-in so that it appears under the "Services and Applications" node in the "Computer Management". I believe the process for doing this is described here:

* Registering a Snap-in for an Optional Service
    * http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa815157%28VS.85%29.aspx

While I have been successful at writing snap-ins that can be loaded in MMC, I have not yet been able to get one to appear under the "Services and Applications" node.

I'm hoping that there is a tool to handle the registration for me. Is anyone aware of such a tool, or of an example demonstrating loading a custom snap-in into this node?
    • Moved by Chao Kuo Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:01 AM MMC not support (From:Visual C# General)
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:44 AM

Answers

• I have found the solution. To get a snap-in to appear under the "Services and Applications" node in the "Computer Management" node the snap-in should extend the "Services and Applications" snap-in using a NamespaceExtension. This is demonstrated in the MMC samples in the Windows SDK, see the sample found in:

\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.1\Samples\SysMgmt\MMC3.0\ExtendingComputerManagementSample
    • Marked as answer by AC0KG Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:56 PM
    • Edited by AC0KG Sunday, February 7, 2010 5:49 PM
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:56 PM

All replies