User load suddenly stops RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this weird problem. I'm using VS 2010 Ultimate running a load test that reaches 2000 users (I run this test in 64 bit). Each user opens an HTTP connection to a remote IIS web service and keeps that connection opened for 10 minutes. (After 10 minutes the test ends and the connection is closed, but is executed again as configured in the test mix). Each user also writes to a log file before executing the test and when finishing the test.

While running I can see in the performance counters that for each user created the concurrent connection to the IIS is increased by 1. When reaching 2000 users I also reach 2000 concurrent connection as suppose to. 

After some time of reaching the 2000 users and connection the concurrent connection graph starts to drop as the user load remains the same (2000) and reaches zero. The user writes to the log file as he ends the test but never comes back on again. 

It seems that the user load is also zero as no new threads are created (as users). It's like the run suddenly stopped although the counters graphs continues to show 2000 users but nothing is written in the log file and no test is really executed.

Any ideas what can be the problem?

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 7:52 AM

Answers

• Hello,

If you run the contained test separately, does this issue exist? Are you running this load test with controller and agents? Does the contained test a unit test?

You may verify whether you can view the Detail window after the load test completes.

In addition, you can enable the 'saving test logs' feature so you can view the log for all tests run during the load test run. With it, you can view the whole procedures for the failed unit test. Here you can get information about this feature: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/billbar/archive/2009/06/09/vsts-2010-load-test-feature-saving-test-logs.aspx

Thanks.

Edwer Fang [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:07 AM

All replies

• Hello,

There is a new feature called “Load test virtual user activity visualization” which provides a new way to look at load test data. With it, we can look at what users are doing during a load test. You can refer to the following article about this feature: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/slumley/archive/2009/06/09/vsts-2010-feature-load-test-virtual-user-activity-visualization.aspx

You can go to that window to verify whether the tests are still executing or stoped after first 10 min.

Are there any errors? Which counter do you use to check the concurrent connections? How do you specify the length of load test?

Edwer Fang [MSFT]

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:52 AM
  • I've looked at the article you referenced, but when I press on the "Detail" button I get an error "No detail exists in the selected point".

To you're questions: 

I do get an error on some of the executed methods that the method has timed out. But I have no idea why - and they execute well for a log period before showing these errors.

The counter I use is Web Service->Current Connections->_Total

I specify the length of the test in the run settings (Is there any other option?)

Added:

I also see these events over and over again the the event log:

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the stopped state

The WinHTTP Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Service service entered the running state

(Event ID 7036)

Sunday, September 12, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Hello,

You should be able to view the Detail window, could you please verify your configuration steps with the "Configuring Load Test to Collect Full Details" part in the above link?

Thanks.

Monday, September 13, 2010 6:24 AM
  • Implemented everything on the article - Still Get the same errors.

I also get these error on the client side (where the VS 2010 runs)

The description for Event ID 0 from source VSTTExecution cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

(QTAgent32.exe, PID 27132, Thread 77) Unit Test Adapter threw exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestTypes.Unit.ConsoleOutputRedirector.EndRedirectionForCurrentThread()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestTypes.Unit.UnitTestExecuter.GetConsoleOutput()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestTypes.Unit.UnitTestExecuter.ExecuteTest()

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestTypes.Unit.UnitTestExecuter.Execute(UnitTestResult result)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestTypes.Unit.UnitTestRunner.ExecuteSingleTest(UnitTestExecuter executer, UnitTestResult result, UnitTestElement test, ITestContext testContext, UnitTestAdapterContext userContext, Boolean isLoadTest)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestTypes.Unit.UnitTestRunner.ExecuteSingleTest(UnitTestExecuter executer, UnitTestElement test, ITestContext testContext, UnitTestAdapterContext userContext, Boolean isLoadTest)

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.TestTypes.Unit.UnitTestRunner.Run(UnitTestElement test, ITestContext testContext, Boolean isLoadTest, Boolean useMultipleCpus)

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

And:

(QTAgent32.exe, PID 27132, Thread 445) AgentObject: Cleanup: Timeout reached in cleaning up the agent.

Monday, September 13, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Hello,

If you run the contained test separately, does this issue exist? Are you running this load test with controller and agents? Does the contained test a unit test?

You may verify whether you can view the Detail window after the load test completes.

In addition, you can enable the 'saving test logs' feature so you can view the log for all tests run during the load test run. With it, you can view the whole procedures for the failed unit test. Here you can get information about this feature: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/billbar/archive/2009/06/09/vsts-2010-load-test-feature-saving-test-logs.aspx

Thanks.

Edwer Fang [MSFT]

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 6:07 AM
  • Hello,

I will mark the reply as answer, if you find it no help, you can feel free to unmark it.

Edwer Fang [MSFT]

Monday, September 20, 2010 6:22 AM