Application Library Caching does not get the latest *.zip file RRS feed

• Question

• All -

We have enabled Silverlight 4 application library caching and notice a strange behaviour. The SL application references two SL class libraries. When application caching is enabled, we notice two *.Zip files created per referenced assembly. When we made few changes two one of the referenced assembly, and deployed the same, the client does not get the latest *.Zip file. It always get from cache. We tried this in IE 8 and IE 9. Any idea why IE does not get the modified *.ZIP file?  This is very strange. Is there anything we need to do? Please advice.

Appreciate it

Tuesday, January 10, 2012 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Sairashid,

According to my understanding, this behavior is by design. When a user first visits your Web page, the Silverlight plug-in downloads the application package and all required external parts. These files are added to the browser cache so that they can be reused on subsequent visits.

For futher information on how to use Application Library Caching, please refer from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd833069(v=vs.95).aspx

Best Regards,

Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi Sairashid,

According to my understanding, this behavior is by design. When a user first visits your Web page, the Silverlight plug-in downloads the application package and all required external parts. These files are added to the browser cache so that they can be reused on subsequent visits.

For futher information on how to use Application Library Caching, please refer from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd833069(v=vs.95).aspx

Best Regards,

Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:20 AM
  • That sounds very bad design. What's the point in keeping the ZIP file in browser cache , when a new version is available in the server? I would expect the new version automatically downloaded. I hope you agree with me!

Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:16 PM
  • What's the point in keeping the ZIP file in browser cache , when a new version is available in the server? I would expect the new version automatically downloaded.

Application library caching can help improve startup performance when users revisit your Web site. Application library caching affects only assemblies that your application requires at startup. If your application loads some assemblies on demand, it always retrieves them from the server, and never from the browser cache.

Best Regards,

Monday, January 16, 2012 2:21 AM