none
Adding applications to a CE system RRS feed

• Question

• It's my understanding that the normal way of adding an application to a CE-system is by adding it as a category. But is it possible to add an application by just copying it to my boot CF-card? That is outside of NK.bin. When I do that, I don't seem to be able to see the app in the booted system. Is the file system that I see in the CE system using the file explorer only the part that is loaded into RAM? Can I explore the file system of the compact flash?
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 8:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Max,

Yes. You can just copy the application to SD Card and access it on the device. (If it is enabled, ie: if you can see SD Card partition in "MyDevice" on the device).

Or else you can use ActiveSync to copy the appliction from host to device. (If USB client functionality is enabled).

With regards,

Keshava

Keshava G N ( keshavagn@iwavesystems.com ), Member - Technical, iWave Systems ( http://iwavesystems.com )

• Edited by Keshava GN Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Molo Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:33 PM
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi Max,

Yes. You can just copy the application to SD Card and access it on the device. (If it is enabled, ie: if you can see SD Card partition in "MyDevice" on the device).

Or else you can use ActiveSync to copy the appliction from host to device. (If USB client functionality is enabled).

With regards,

Keshava

Keshava G N ( keshavagn@iwavesystems.com ), Member - Technical, iWave Systems ( http://iwavesystems.com )

• Edited by Keshava GN Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:43 AM
    • Marked as answer by Max Molo Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:33 PM
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:42 AM
  • Hello Max,

You can have your CE applications and even modules(dlls) copied and run from your CF-Card.

But you need to have a partition created in the CF Card to store your data. 

You are right the file-system that you see in the file explorer is the one that is loaded in to your RAM, i.e it is defined when you created your image, and you cannot manually copy files to this file system. Any files copied (manually) would not be available after a re-boot.

I suggest create a partition on the SD-CARD, and format it in one of the supported formats (FAT32...) Also you might have to set this partition as an active partition so that it is mounted automatically (This last step could be dependent on platform but I have faced this issue before, hence the fore-warning).

Do let me know if this works for you.

• Edited by Derek_81 Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:03 PM
    Saturday, March 23, 2013 1:02 PM