Metro appl launch desktop app RRS feed

• Question

• I see there is a way to launch a desktop application with the Launcher::LaunchDefaultProgram, however this is not a seamless transition from Metro UI to desktop UI. What I see is that the Win7 Desktop comes up, then my desktop app comes up. I don't really want to see the desktop. I just want to transition straight to my desktop app in full screen mode. Is this possible?

Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:33 AM

All replies

• I don't think so and in any case this is probably a fragile behaviour to try and depend upon too heavily. What happens if the user hasn't installed your desktop application? What happens if the user prefers a different application for those file types or doesn't want to run the app full screen?
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:02 PM
  • Thanks for your response. Well, we have applications that would take years to port over to Metro. Just take for instance Adobe Photoshop or AutoCad. For these desktop applications when my desktop application installer install, it will install a Metro UI/tile that do minimal and just launch my desktop app. I still want the experience to be some what seemless.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 8:06 PM
  • The common theme coming from Microsoft is that it won't be possible for a desktop app to install a Metro app as part of it's installation process, fundamentally they have to come from the app store. How this will be enforced (if at all) isn't really clear, but given that Metro apps will roam to other PCs with the user you'd still have to account for the possibility that the Metro part was running on a PC without the desktop app.

I think that fundamentally desktop apps should simply behave as they do currently, after all there was a conscious decision that desktop apps needed to look differently on the Start screen (mentioned in the B8 blog) because testing showed users were confused when Live Tiles were initially used for both. Even if you find a way around the system it's liable to be very fragile and confusing for end users.

Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:56 PM
  • Hi dzungductran,

Are you able to launch desktop application from Metro app?

If yes, can you please share the method to launch desktop application from metro app?

please help, waiting for your reply.

Thanks & Regards,

Pariksheet.

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:19 AM
  • walk round way.

register you app to open a specific type document. like .dzungductran.   In Desktop you can double click file (for example test.dzungductran) to launch your app.

In metro applicantion , you can use LaunchDefaultProgram to open this kind of file to launch your app.

Thursday, December 8, 2011 8:38 AM