Custom rendering extension (drawing, 3D) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I would like to write an extension?/plugin? for IE. The purpose is the render some custom data (mathematical functions for example). The user should be able to interact with the graphic (move, turn, zoom in/out). The extension/plugin should be embedded in the HTML content using the EMBED tag or the OBJECT tag.

I was searching a long time on the web for a solution with BHO but it seems to be that you can only do browser extenstion. What I need is more a content extension (show custom content in an area defined with a width and a height).

What would be the best way to do this? Should I use an ActiveX? Or create a new binary behavior? At first I would be happy to find any example how to do this (no matter in which language)? The next step for me would be to do a wrapper for C# (but may be am I asking to much?).

Olivier

Friday, June 4, 2010 8:30 AM

All replies

• Olivier Baillard wrote:
    > I would like to write an extension?/plugin? for IE. The purpose is the render some custom data (mathematical functions for
    > example). The user should be able to interact with the graphic (move, turn, zoom in/out). The extension/plugin should be embedded
    > in the HTML content using the EMBED tag or the OBJECT tag. 
    > I was searching a long time on the web for a solution with BHO

BHO won't help you any. You want an ActiveX control.

Consider implementing this as a Flash application. Might be easier, and would work in all browsers, not just IE.
    --
    Igor Tandetnik
    Friday, June 4, 2010 11:50 AM
  • Hi Igor,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, ActiveX is an option. I only heard several times, that it may have some security issues (probably it depends on who program it...).

Anyway, after long search on the Internet I also found that what I need is NOT a browser extension but a CONTENT extension. It is a difference? Yes is it:

See following link to the Microsoft page about content extension .

Specialy I think I need something like a "binary behavior". Never heard something about it before but it seems nice.

Moreover I foud a great explanation on how to do some binary behavior with .NET . I am still working on it, but it is promising to be exactly what I am expecting...

Regards,

Olivier

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:05 PM