UserControl Border background brush set in code, but I don't see that color at run-time

Question

• Given the code below, I set the containing Border element on my UserControl to the given background color if a background color is given by the caller.  If I change the background Brush manually in the designer, I do see that color at run-time.  However, if I do it via the code below, I don't see any color (the Border background color is the same as the current Window).  Why doesn't setting it from code at run-time work?

public RateMyApp(
                        string ratingMsg, 
                        string sendFeedbackEmailAddr, 
                        string rateAndReviewUrl, 
                        Color? backgroundColor = null)
            {
                this.InitializeComponent();

if (String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(ratingMsg))
                    throw new ArgumentNullException("The rating message is empty.");

if (String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(sendFeedbackEmailAddr))
                    throw new ArgumentNullException("The send feedback E-mail address is empty.");

if (String.IsNullOrWhiteSpace(rateAndReviewUrl))
                    throw new ArgumentNullException("The rate and review URL is empty.");

this.RatingMessage = ratingMsg;
                this.SendFeedbackEmailAddr = sendFeedbackEmailAddr;
                this.RateAndReviewUrl = rateAndReviewUrl;
                if (backgroundColor != null)
                    this.BorderBrush = new SolidColorBrush(backgroundColor.Value);

// Show the question stack panel and hide the rate & review and send feedback stack panels.
                gridQuestion.ShowElement(true);
                gridRateAndReview.HideElement(true);
                gridSendFeedback.HideElement(true);
            }

-- roschler

Tuesday, March 04, 2014 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi roschler,

You have a border in your user control, whats the name of the border control? I saw you set the BorderBruch for "this", and "this" means the UserControl but not the border control

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:20 AM

All replies

• Hi roschler,

You have a border in your user control, whats the name of the border control? I saw you set the BorderBruch for "this", and "this" means the UserControl but not the border control

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 3:20 AM
  • Thanks Jaime.  That was it.  Tired eyes I guess. :)

-- roschler

Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:41 AM