Visual Studio problems in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This may not be the right forum but I couldn't find any that seem appropriate to my problem.

I recently upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate on a 32 bit laptop with 4Gb of memory. Under Vista Visual Studio 2008 ran ok but now I'm having problems most times I rebuild my solution. These problems vary from not being able find files to "not enough memory for this operation". To fix these issues I have to close VS down and restart and do a rebuild immediatly after the restart. This will normally work and I can carry on developing but the next time I want to test my changes I will have sometype of error in the compile about 50% of the time and have to restart. The other 50% I will certainly have an error the next time I want to compile.

As you can imagine this driving me nuts and I've googled myself mad trying to find a fix. Any suggestions.

TIA, Peter

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you upgrade your OS from Vista to Windows 7 or perform a new install of Windows 7?
    It was an upgrade

For Visual Studio 2008 installation, it will install some stuff like registry, files on your system drive. The upgrade might cause some changes for system drive. Thus, if you don't mind, could you please help me to check whether re-installation of VS2008 would release this scenario?

You could try:

- run AutoUninstall Tool: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/content/content.aspx?ContentID=7276&wa=wsignin1.0 to remove ALL components installed with Visual Studio 2008 products, including Visual Studio Express Editions, Visual Studio Team System, Visual Studio Professional

or

- manually removing VS related components according to the following order:

Open Add or Remove Programs (Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008).

1.   Remove "Microsoft SQL Publishing Wizard".
    2.   Remove "Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008".
    3.   Remove "Crystal Reports Basic 64-bit Runtime for Visual Studio 2008 (x64)". This step is required only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit computer.
    4.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 SDK Reference Assemblies and IntelliSense".
    5.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 .NET Framework Tools".
    6.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Win32 Tools".
    7.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Headers and Libraries".
    8.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Tools".
    9.   Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Remote Debugger". This step is required only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit computer.
    10. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition".
    11. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client".
    12. Remove "Microsoft Device Emulator version 3.0".
    13. Remove "Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Smartphone".
    14. Remove "Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Pocket PC".
    15. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 For Devices".
    16. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Design Tools".
    17. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5".
    18. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Runtime".
    19. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office system (version 3.0 Runtime)".
    20. Remove "Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5".
    21. Remove "Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2".
    22. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio".
    23. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component".
    24. Remove "Microsoft Document Explorer 2008".
    25. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites". This step is required only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit computer.

Then install Visual Studio 2008 again.

Hope this helps! If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by peter jones Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:58 PM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Peter,

Some clarification with you:
    Did you upgrade your OS from Vista to Windows 7 or perform a new install of Windows 7?

Based on your description, the error message can be caused by not enough memory, or rather a lack of available memory at the time.

Firstly, please help me to check whether you have enough HDD space as well as enough memory.

Have you applied Visual Studio 2008 SP1? If not, please try to download SP1 and install it to have a try.
    There are two installers for VS2008 SP1. You can choose Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (Installer) or Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (ISO).

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:54 AM typo
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Hi Yichun,

Thanks for the prompt response. Please see below:

It was an upgrade

Based on your description, the error message can be caused by not enough memory, or rather a lack of available memory at the time.
    Firstly, please help me to check whether you have enough HDD space as well as enough memory.

17Gb free on drive C: and 30Gb free on drive D

Have you applied Visual Studio 2008 SP1? If not, please try to download SP1 and install it to have a try.
    There are two installers for VS2008 SP1. You can choose Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (Installer) or Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (ISO).
    Yes - SP1 is installed.

Cheers, Peter
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

It was an upgrade

For Visual Studio 2008 installation, it will install some stuff like registry, files on your system drive. The upgrade might cause some changes for system drive. Thus, if you don't mind, could you please help me to check whether re-installation of VS2008 would release this scenario?

You could try:

- run AutoUninstall Tool: https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/content/content.aspx?ContentID=7276&wa=wsignin1.0 to remove ALL components installed with Visual Studio 2008 products, including Visual Studio Express Editions, Visual Studio Team System, Visual Studio Professional

or

- manually removing VS related components according to the following order:

Open Add or Remove Programs (Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008).

1.   Remove "Microsoft SQL Publishing Wizard".
    2.   Remove "Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008".
    3.   Remove "Crystal Reports Basic 64-bit Runtime for Visual Studio 2008 (x64)". This step is required only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit computer.
    4.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 SDK Reference Assemblies and IntelliSense".
    5.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 .NET Framework Tools".
    6.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Win32 Tools".
    7.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Headers and Libraries".
    8.   Remove "Microsoft Windows SDK for Visual Studio 2008 Tools".
    9.   Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Remote Debugger". This step is required only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit computer.
    10. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition".
    11. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Native Client".
    12. Remove "Microsoft Device Emulator version 3.0".
    13. Remove "Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Smartphone".
    14. Remove "Windows Mobile 5.0 SDK R2 for Pocket PC".
    15. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 For Devices".
    16. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Design Tools".
    17. Remove "Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5".
    18. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the 2007 Microsoft Office System Runtime".
    19. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Tools for the Microsoft Office system (version 3.0 Runtime)".
    20. Remove "Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 3.5".
    21. Remove "Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 2.0 SP2".
    22. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio".
    23. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio Web Authoring Component".
    24. Remove "Microsoft Document Explorer 2008".
    25. Remove "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 64bit Prerequisites". This step is required only if Visual Studio is installed on a 64-bit computer.

Then install Visual Studio 2008 again.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Marked as answer by peter jones Thursday, March 4, 2010 8:58 PM
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:16 AM
  • Hi Yichun,

Thanks - I did an uninstall followed by an install using the latest ISO from MSDN and everything is working fine now.

Cheers, Peter
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Hi Peter,

It's my pleasure!

I'm so glad to hear this good news.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, March 5, 2010 3:54 AM
  • hi Miss chen,

I have had similar problems on my pc. i did uninstall and reinstall and still don't have all the progrmas installed properly. I have the same operating ystem for my pc it was an upgrawde from home premium, and as i also have office 2010 the software also won't recognise that.

nic

Saturday, April 16, 2011 8:18 PM
  • I am also having major problems in Visual Studio 2008 SP1 on a new (clean) installation of Win7 and Office 2010.

I'm using BIDS to develope Reporting Services reports. 

Problem1:  In the VS environment, I have reports with several parameters.   The default parameters are being ignored.   Meaning although they are defined as defaults in my parameters list, each time I test the report I have to click through 8 paramters in order to test it.   As you can imagine this has made the Dev environment nearly useless.

Problem2: Parameter Related again.   In some cases with 8 or so parameters on a different report, after selecting the defaults  for 4 of them where they should already be applied, I get to a point where the UI will not bring a default or allow me to select one, therefore I can't move forward with selecting the remaining parameters as they are cascading parameters. 

These are all reports that have previously worked fine in WinXP, Visual Studio 2008.

Thanks in advance as my other post was ignored for 2 weeks.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vsreportcontrols/thread/fbc43ce0-c59b-4d9e-b646-df12b2364019

Monday, September 19, 2011 8:50 AM