Open Touch Keyboard in my app on the non touch device

Question

• Hello!

My laptop running windows 8.1 (not a touch screen) - I would like to know how to use the Touch Keyboard in my app. I want to insert emoji icons into the textbox.

I already knew this: Go to desktop, right click the taskbar => Toolbar => Touch keyboard. Now what, how can I make the touch keyboard popup inside my app?

Thank you for your help

Monday, December 16, 2013 2:04 PM

Answers

• From an application development point of view you'd need to add your own emoji button to the app. For help with using Windows please ask in the Windows 8.1 forum on http://answers.microsoft.com .

It is possible that the keyboard option is available only if the user has a touch screen or has installed multiple keyboards, but I don't have any systems which don't show the control to compare with.

--Rob

Monday, December 16, 2013 9:59 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Your app cannot programmatically open the input pane. Only the user can do so. This can be done from the settings charm without going to the desktop.

If your app needs easily input emoji in all environments you con provide your own button for them. For example, Skype has a smiley button embedded in its text entry field.

--Rob

Monday, December 16, 2013 3:14 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your reply. On my laptop, from my app when I opened the setting charm I saw the keyboard was grayed-out.  The same with YahooMail app (see picture). What wrong with my laptop? 

Monday, December 16, 2013 5:12 PM
  • From an application development point of view you'd need to add your own emoji button to the app. For help with using Windows please ask in the Windows 8.1 forum on http://answers.microsoft.com .

It is possible that the keyboard option is available only if the user has a touch screen or has installed multiple keyboards, but I don't have any systems which don't show the control to compare with.

--Rob

Monday, December 16, 2013 9:59 PM
    Owner