none
Need a template for something like a discussion forum RRS feed

• Question

• I started building an application and then I thought there must be a template or maybe someone has done this already.

I'd like it to be like a discussion forum where you can create threads which others can view and then reply to them (and reply to replies etc.). All a thread needs is a title, a body and a creator and date/time.

I'd like it to keep track of who has read which thread so for each user it can flag threads which have been read and which not read.

Can anyone point me to anything that will do this or tips on a good approach so I can develop this ultra-quickly.

This will be used as a team collaboration tool for software developers in remote locations. I have Access 2010.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 11:23 PM

All replies

• "This will be used as a team collaboration tool for software developers in remote locations"

This statement concerns me as you are talking about a WAN and Access and WANs do not mix.

Personally, I'd not be considering Access based on the above alone.  I'd be focusing my energies on using one of many open-source forum web application that can be hosted online quite easily (especially if you already have a domain).

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2016
    Microsoft MVP Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:22 AM
  • Everyone using this will be on the same network. I could develop a web application but that would take weeks or months and require many levels of management approvals. I am looking to implement this in 1 or 2 days. 
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 12:36 AM
  • Hi AllTheGoodNamesWereTaken,

you had mentioned 2 main things.

(1) you want to develop a discussion forum.

(2) it will work as a collaboration tool.

Actually Discussion can be the part and a feature of collaboration tool. for more information regarding that please visit the link mentioned below.

Team Collaboration Software Distinct Features

other thing you had mentioned that you have Access 2010.

with only Access 2010 it's not possible at all.

you have to choose project type in which you want to develop this system.

like window application or web application. you need to decide on which platform you want to develop.

what will be the boundary of this system.

what will be the structure of this system.

how many developers you need to develop this system and in how many days they can complete this work.

how you will implement this ?

overall you need to follow the software development life cycle process to develop the system like this.

it is not the thing that you can develop and implement with in 1 or 2 days and with only Access 2010.

Access can be used as back end to store the data of your system. you can't fulfill your requirement by that.

so here I suggest you to think again about your requirement and approach.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Can anyone point me to anything that will do this or tips on a good approach so I can develop this ultra-quickly.

Hi ATGNWT,

I assume you need a system to log the questions/remarks collegue-developpers, and the (nested) answers.

In the Remark_tbl, with fields for Remark (Memo), Creator, Creationtime, you can have an additional field that stores the Remark_id of the "Parent"-Remark. Then you can walk recursively through all Remarks.

To develop this ultra-quickly, you need some RAD-tool. Alas, standard-Access is not such a tool, so it will take more time with lots of copy/pasting.

This all apart from the remarks by the other answerers to this thread.

Imb.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 8:56 AM