Universal App: UI Designer mode for shared XAML

Question

• Hi,

my project containts a XAML file in the shared section of a universal app. To handle minor differences between the Windows 8.1 App and the Windows Phone 8.1 App, this shared XAML includes a ResourceDictionary.xaml that exists in two different versions, one in the Windows 8.1 project and another one in the Windows Phone 8.1 project. The compiler is doing its job and automatically includes the right version.

However, if I open up the shared XAML in the VS2013 UI designer, it always uses the Windows 8.1 version of the ResourceDictionary.xaml and the designer goes to "Windows 8.1 App mode". Is there a way to tell the designer to use the ResourceDictionary.xaml from the Windows Phone 8.1 project instead and go to "Windows Phone 8.1 mode"? I'd like to be able to switch between both versions when designing my app and haven't found a way to do it. Any help is really appreciated.

Holger

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 12:54 PM

Answers

• In the designer's Xaml window there should be a drop down to let you choose between the <AppName>.Windows and <AppName>.WindowsPhone projects.

Designer pane indicating the product switch

• Marked as answer by Holger Strauss Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:54 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:46 PM
    Owner

All replies

• In the designer's Xaml window there should be a drop down to let you choose between the <AppName>.Windows and <AppName>.WindowsPhone projects.

Designer pane indicating the product switch

• Marked as answer by Holger Strauss Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:54 PM
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:46 PM
    Owner
  • Many thanks, Rob!
    Wednesday, December 31, 2014 4:55 PM