Not able to open excel file in Microsoft Office 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We received some excel file having (Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet) Format and some worksheet having Map object.Find attached image for same.

When we try to open given file in Excel 2010,it gives popup saying 'Microsoft Excel has stopped working'.

We figure out issue is with Map objects which cause Microsoft Office 2013 stop working.(we found this issue by opening the same file in OpenOffice software and saving the file in same(Excel97-2003) format, this will remove Map object from saved excel file)

Note: Open office software can render the same file without any issue while Excel 2010 stop working.

Is there any solution to handle this kind of files using office 2013 ?

Map Object in WorkSheet

• Edited by Viral84 Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:18 AM addition
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

When i try to open excel file using excel Interop in C# development environment.

It gives below type of error for client files,

1. Microsoft Excel has stopped working

2. Excel.EXE - Fail Fast Exception

we verified with some other software having support to open excel file, in that software they able to open excel file in their viewer.

So my question is,

1) how we can open this kind of files successfully ? (note : we are having window 7 machine and office 32 bit version)

2) How to bypass this kind of notification while opening file from C#.code ( we have tried DisplayAler and Notify options but its not working for this kind of files)

Please suggest.

Thanks

Friday, September 2, 2016 9:54 AM
  • Hi,

Based on your description your problem is related to Excel for Developer, I'll move your question to the MSDN forum for Excel

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=exceldev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 5, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

Could you succeed in opening these files manually?

In your C# project, how do you open the files? What parameter do you use in the method?

Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:01 AM
  • Friday, September 9, 2016 3:41 AM
  • i do not able to open this kind of files manually using office software while it opens in Openoffice software.

Friday, September 9, 2016 7:25 AM
  • >>We figure out issue is with Map objects which cause Microsoft Office 2013 stop working

How do you add the MAP object in the excel file? By VBA or Add-ins or anything else? Since these objects cause the issue, to open the file in Office application or C# application, I would suggest you remove these objects.

Monday, September 12, 2016 5:51 AM
  • As we received this files from client having format as (Microsoft Excel 97-2003 Worksheet) .

So i guess in older office version, they able to add Map object successfully in given type of file format.

But some how office 2013, not able to open or render this kind of files in his viewer.(May be office older version able to open this kind files)

So we are wondering, if Open office software able to open same kind of files then why office 2013 not able to support that same.

Thanks

• Edited by Viral84 Monday, September 12, 2016 12:52 PM edited
    Monday, September 12, 2016 7:13 AM
  • I just verified the same excel file having map object is able to open in Office 2010 version but in office 2013 it not able to open this file.

seems like compatibility issue but how to resolve it ?

Monday, September 12, 2016 12:51 PM
  • >>if Open office software able to open same kind of files then why office 2013 not able to support that same.

Since Open office software is third-part software, I apologize that we could not offer any support for it.

>>I just verified the same excel file having map object is able to open in Office 2010 version but in office 2013 it not able to open this file.

If the map object is a custom part or not?

If the file could be opened in Offcie2010, try to convert its format to .xlsx, then try to open in Office2013.

Would you please share a sample file with us, so that we could reproduce and offer valuable suggestion

• Proposed as answer by Chenchen Li Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:36 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 7:24 AM