How to work on network shares with VS2008 projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

After many hours I managed to get the configuration tool for .NET 2.0 Framework installed on my new Win7-64 machine.

I'm now having problem to set my network share as trusted enough to hold my VS-project.

well, to be 100% honest, I'm only guessing this is the issue, I can open the project, I can work on it, add pages, codes, sub-projects etc... , but I cannot show an aspx page in browser, which is a handy function without having to compile all.

I'm getting a "server-error in application, security bla bla" all in swedish thanks to Bill Gates so I cannot pick some parts from it and google the solution.....

It's all working fine from my old WinXP machine, but I'm really interested in moving forward into win7

Yes, I am starting to get in a really bad mode, developing web apps is what I do for a living, and this empty new web-app is now in the value of soon 2 full days cost and it doesn't contain anything.....

Does anyone know a 100% workable way to get this show on the road, even if this mean shuting down the security, I really do trust my own server.

I have tried the conf tool MSC and CASPOL, both are adding security registration, but nothing happens in the real world.

Rgds

Kjell

Friday, July 23, 2010 11:30 AM

Answers

• I'm starting to get used to answer my own problems. :-)

I finally figured out some pieces of the problem, I do believe that MS has missed something here.

First I had gigant problems to install a configuration tool for .NET 2.0 due to MS has superceded the original package with either Win2008+.NET3.5 or Win7+.NET3.5 and left out the configuration tool !?!?!  that must have been a mistake.

anyway, now I found out that a Win7-64 actually has 2 Framework areas, (86) and (64)   Framework vs Framework64

The above tool MSCORCFG will be able to work on the (86) area, but not the (64) area

on the other hand both of them has its own CASPOL tool which is working but its not graphical....

But, with so many variables no wonder I never (almost) got it right, and since no one seems to know the whole picture I either continue to try new variants or drop the subject and find my self another line of business.

In my case I only needed one small declaration which could be set with either MSCORCFG or CASPOL, so it belongs to (86) area, I have no idea when to use the (64) area of the Framework...

With MSCORCFG = Create a group under My Computer - Runtime Security Policy - Machine - Code Groups - All_Code - Trusted_Zone       any name will do, use URL condition and state in URL box your [drive letter]:\*  in my case:   I:\*    Permission set:  FullTrust

With CASPOL =   [Eleveted command prompt]   [navigate to folder having CASPOL.EXE  (86 area)]   command:   caspol.exe –machine –addgroup 1 –url I:/* FullTrust

PS, When I got my working I stopped the testings, no guarantee that above will fix your needs at once, but don't give up, apparantly it can be fixed ;-)

Kjell

Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:24 AM

All replies

• I'm starting to get used to answer my own problems. :-)

I finally figured out some pieces of the problem, I do believe that MS has missed something here.

First I had gigant problems to install a configuration tool for .NET 2.0 due to MS has superceded the original package with either Win2008+.NET3.5 or Win7+.NET3.5 and left out the configuration tool !?!?!  that must have been a mistake.

anyway, now I found out that a Win7-64 actually has 2 Framework areas, (86) and (64)   Framework vs Framework64

The above tool MSCORCFG will be able to work on the (86) area, but not the (64) area

on the other hand both of them has its own CASPOL tool which is working but its not graphical....

But, with so many variables no wonder I never (almost) got it right, and since no one seems to know the whole picture I either continue to try new variants or drop the subject and find my self another line of business.

In my case I only needed one small declaration which could be set with either MSCORCFG or CASPOL, so it belongs to (86) area, I have no idea when to use the (64) area of the Framework...

With MSCORCFG = Create a group under My Computer - Runtime Security Policy - Machine - Code Groups - All_Code - Trusted_Zone       any name will do, use URL condition and state in URL box your [drive letter]:\*  in my case:   I:\*    Permission set:  FullTrust

With CASPOL =   [Eleveted command prompt]   [navigate to folder having CASPOL.EXE  (86 area)]   command:   caspol.exe –machine –addgroup 1 –url I:/* FullTrust

PS, When I got my working I stopped the testings, no guarantee that above will fix your needs at once, but don't give up, apparantly it can be fixed ;-)

Kjell

Saturday, July 24, 2010 9:24 AM
  • Hi Kjell,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved.

Thank you for your sharing!

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Monday, July 26, 2010 6:36 AM