SQL administrator question RRS feed

• Question

• We are running SQL 2005 with Management studio express on a server 2008 server.

We created additional administrator accounts in windows and we want those administrator accounts to access SQL for user modifications, etc.

To create these addition admin accounts, we copied the original admin in Active Directory.

Now the original admin has full access and do everything it needs.

the additional administrator accounts, admin1,2 and 3 get the errors

"An Exception occured while executing a Transact-sql statement or batch. (Microsoft SQLServer. Express.ConnectionInfo)

"user does not have permission to perform this action. (Microsoft SQl Server, Error: 15247). They get this error when trying to modify user account permissions in SQL.

Any help is appreciated.

Monday, May 21, 2012 3:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• How are admin1, 2, and 3 connecting to SQL Server? That is, do they have individual logins, or does an active directory group containing the admin1, 2, and 3 users have a login? Which ever you did, it sounds like you did not add sufficient permissions to that/those logins. You might want to make that/those logins members of the sysadmin fixed server role to grant them administrator permission to all of SQL Server, or grant them some other sort of permissions.

Rick Byham, Microsoft, SQL Server Books Online, Implies no warranty

Monday, May 21, 2012 3:33 PM
  • Where would i add them to the Sysadmin fixed server role?

I verified that the Admin 1,2 and 3 accounts are all domain admins with the same active directory group membership as the original Administrator account.

So far, I have only created the Admin 1,2,3 in active directory. Do i need to add them manually to the SQL side as well?

I am knew to SQL .

Thank you.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Since you have Management Studio Express, follow the instructions here to create logins for the Windows accounts http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa337562.aspx. Server roles is a section in that topic. Complete that portion to join the sysadmin fixed server role.

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:43 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:30 PM
  • If you already have logins for the Windows accounts, then follow the instructions here to place the logins in the sysadmin role http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff877886.aspx

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Tuesday, May 29, 2012 2:43 AM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:30 PM