webhost4life install question RRS feed

• Question

• User380413204 posted
    Hi,

Jumped in at the deep end and signed up for an account at webhost4life
    The scripted setup for a standard Club Starter Kit is really easy.
    So no problem there.

But I have been changing and adapting lots of stuff via this foum the last few months.
    I guess for all code it's simply a matter of upload via FTP.

Now the Database is a different matter:
    I have a combined database (all in ASPNETDB)

Is there an easy way to get my database the same way as I have it now? (I have the database locally in the App_Data Folder)

I can get to the Webbase Enterprise Manager v.2.0 r.096 at webhost4life and I guess it should be possible to manually change all the tables and sp's so they match my homebox, but is there perhaps  an easier way?

Thanks in advance,

Lex
    Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:17 AM

All replies

• User775741686 posted

I am trying to set up with webhost4life as well.  My question is, how did you end up with a combined database?  I have set up my site from the beginning with all the defaults and I have 2 db's.  I see a lot of developers with a combined database on this forum.

I do know that there is a plugin on your control panel for the club site setup.  It is on the left side under .net plugins.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 9:27 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi, you can find some info here:

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1279741.aspx

HTH,

Lex

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:07 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Update,

I finally find out how you guys make scripts. (haha)

Management studio does all the work for you (I always thought you typed these codes by hand [:)] )

But why do I get errors at WH4L with the following lines in the script:?

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

Can I safely omit the lines or do I have to change a setting somewhere so the error goes away?

Thanks in advance,

lex

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:40 AM
  • User1416329745 posted

Hi Lexy,

It is very easy because you are actually generating the script, all you do is open the object I all objects databases, triggers, stored procs, UDF and functions and right click on the object in the object browser on select the option you need. 

Now how to move your database the best error free way is to backup your database and restore it at webhost4life server.  You do that by using the backup and restore wizard in management studio and it is good to learn because if you don't backup your database they will do it and charge you.  Hope this helps.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 10:52 AM
  • User380413204 posted

Hi Caddre,

Thanks for your response,

I suppose I need Managament Studio, because I can't find any wizard in Management Studio Express

I sure hope you mean they charge you when you ask them to restore your database and  not that they simply let you pay when you don't make a back-up yourself.

Lex

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 2:23 PM
  • User1416329745 posted

Hey,

You  can download the eval version of SQL Server it is good for 180 days, the product self installs after you choose components choose all. Then right click at the top of Management Studio and register the Express so you can backup your database and restore on the hosting company server.  And no I mean when you are using the service if they backup your database it will cost you.  Hope this helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/downloads/trial-software.mspx

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 2:37 PM
  • User380413204 posted

I really think this is not the case.

They charge you  $30 when you want them to restore your database for you. They don't charge for backing up (daily)

Lex

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:12 PM
  • User1416329745 posted

Some hosting companies charge for daily backup and for five dollars more you can buy the developer's edition of SQL Server 2005, so you can manage your databases with full SQL Server 2005.  Hope this helps.

http://www.provantage.com/microsoft-e32-00575~7MCSB0EX.htm

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 5:28 PM
  • User1202711479 posted
    You can create multiple databases using the webhost4life control panel. They don't charge you extra. I created two databases under one account.
    Thursday, October 5, 2006 10:58 PM
  • User1951363554 posted

how do you copy a db over to webhost4life..... I getting error message: www.phytologymedica.com

I think the log file of aspnetdbz is carry over info from my local server.!!!

Saturday, October 7, 2006 3:43 PM