logo on masterpage or page layout? RRS feed

• Question

• Currently the logo is on a custom page layout designed for the homepage as  webpart. This works fine except pages other than home do not see the logo since they are using a different page layout. What i want to do is for the admin to select the logo image as a webpart that applies to all pages in the publishing site. If i am not wrong based on the current design if i want the logo to be on other pages i will have to design a new page layout which will have the image webpart in it right?

From what i know i cant have dynamic web parts on masterpages except static web parts. Since i havent really tried that yet i wanted to know what the best approach would be to have the ability to change logo from master that appears on all pages. By default all other pages get the logo from "_layouts/images/titlegraphic.gif", so i can cheat and replace it with the logo but i dont think thats the right way of doing this.

Any ideas?
    Friday, May 15, 2009 4:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can embed the logo URL directly into the master page if you want it to show up on every site which uses it.  (Keep in mind that pages in the _layouts path use application.master in the file system, so they will not inherit this.)

M.
    Marc - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc's Blog
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:35 PM
  • the url in the masterpage would work if all the sites in the site collection use the same logo but i am trying to  find out is a way to change some of the subsites logo to something other than the site collection logo
    Friday, May 15, 2009 8:47 PM
  • to sound more clear here is what i have to:

-the logo gets set in one place(not hardcoded) and it gets reflected on all subsites under the site collection(i am excluding application.master for now)

this is what i m thinking of doing

-have a place in sitecollection to admin logo url
    -create a usercontrol that gets rendered as image by reading the value saved by admin sitecollection page

what do you think?

Friday, May 15, 2009 10:33 PM
  • Also consider doing this with CSS and overriding the default image in the TitleArea.  You can turn the CSS into a theme and apply it where you want it to take effect.

M.
    Marc - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc's Blog
    Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:11 AM