none
VS 2013 Ultimate - Open website = Not responding

Question

• Hi all,

I work in IT at a university and we are having issues with the Ultimate version of VS 2013 on Windows 8.1

Whenever the students load up the program and Open website... they navigate to their z: drive to select their lab work, when they press OK it puts Visual Studio into Not Responding and will not recover. Event viewer reports it as Application Hang. 

I asked them to copy it to the desktop and go through open website and try the desktop folder and it works no problem - it is definately an issue when they select work on their personal space network drive.

Does anyone have any info on why this occurs? 

PC specs are i7s, 16gb with Radeon graphics. All drivers are up to date, however the application isn't, it still hangs after updates anyway.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:18 PM

Answers

• Hi BCU-Chris,

>>I had another issue where in Toolbox, Data, AccessDataSource was not showing up as normal

For this issue, please try to reset your toolbox (Right click your toolbox->Reset your Toolbox)

In addition, since one thread for one issue, for your new issue. I suggest you'd better post a new thread in our forum. We will follow up it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, May 13, 2016 1:44 AM

All replies

• Hi all,

I work in IT at a university and we are having issues with the Ultimate version of VS 2013 on Windows 8.1

Whenever the students load up the program and Open website... they navigate to their z: drive to select their lab work, when they press OK it puts Visual Studio into Not Responding and will not recover. Event viewer reports it as Application Hang. 

I asked them to copy it to the desktop and go through open website and try the desktop folder and it works no problem - it is definately an issue when they select work on their personal space network drive.

Does anyone have any info on why this occurs? 

PC specs are i7s, 16gb with Radeon graphics. All drivers are up to date, however the application isn't, it still hangs after updates anyway.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Hi BCU-Chris,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

Currently, there might be two aspects we could do about this issue:

1. Some members have similar issue when they tried to open or save files on VS 2013, this issue has been fixed internally in the next release.

Please install VS 2013 update 5 on your students’ laptop first, here is the official download link:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-sg/download/details.aspx?id=48129

You could also try to use VS 2015 Community to open the app to see it is fixed.

Reference:
    https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/941183/connect-visual-studio-2013-crashes-when-saving-a-file 

2. >>it is definitely an issue when they select work on their personal space network drive.

As you mentioned that if the app could work properly when opening from local desktop, the cause of the issue could also be related to the app file network drive permission,

Please try to log on VS as a regular user and one as an administrator. Because the mapped drives are only associated with your regular user logon session, so when you run a program.

Please see Mark’s reply in the following reference, He finally solved this issue by configuring the EnableLinkedConnections registry value

Reference:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21887453/vs2013-different-to-vs2010-and-i-cannot-access-network-drive-from-windows-applic

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:44 AM
  • Hi, thanks for replying and offering some insight into the issue. 

I should have mentioned that after we get them to load from Desktop, we ask them to open the one from the student drive again and it works - so this rules out the permissions for network access. 

I will check out the EnableLinkedConnections solution tomorrow as my shift has just ended.

I had another issue where in Toolbox, Data, AccessDataSource was not showing up as normal - I found out that I have to deselect it in framework menu, close the menu and then re-enable it for it to appear, which is weird.

Thanks again for your help, it is still ongoing though and the lecturer's are getting irrate, so I am working hard on troubleshooting this as best I can, hence me asking here.

Thursday, May 12, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Hi BCU-Chris,

>>I had another issue where in Toolbox, Data, AccessDataSource was not showing up as normal

For this issue, please try to reset your toolbox (Right click your toolbox->Reset your Toolbox)

In addition, since one thread for one issue, for your new issue. I suggest you'd better post a new thread in our forum. We will follow up it.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Friday, May 13, 2016 1:44 AM