Reference xUnit/NUnit Tests within a test case RRS feed

• Question

• Hi @all!

We are a small software development team, working with TFS for planing (scrum), versioning and integration. Bescause of this we would like to start our quality assurance with the TFS testmanagement also.

In the past we have written a lot of NUnit and some xUnit tests for Unit.- and Integrationtests. With this in mind I'm working on a test concept and would like to integrate the given integrationtests. So it whould be a necessary step to reference the xUnit-Tests to the written test cases. Later it should be posiible to execute them with MTM and have a coverage report to the product backlog items / user stories.

After a research I found some people having the same problems. So, an open source solution exists (http://jake.ginnivan.net/teamcity-build-results-in-tfs/) or some tried a little hack (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25080448/nunit-integration-with-microsoft-test-manager)

I'm not very happy to use such a solution because when it fails the hole system can fail. 

Can you tell me please, it is possible to refrence xUnit/NUnit-Tests this way? Or would it become possible? Or can you give me a hint using the best workaround? I know you (MS) would prefer using MSTest, but we haven't found a framework like xBehave.net using MSTest as base-framework.

Best regards,

T.Hillebrand

Friday, November 17, 2017 4:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You can create a general unit test with the same name of project, namespace, class, test method, then link this unit test to a test case. (The test agent just look for the test assembly and test method per to the associated information)

However, you can’t do NUnit or XUnit test through MTM, because you can’t specify the test adapter. You can do the test with vNext build, refer to this blogs for more information:

# Executing Automated tests in Build vNext using Test Plan, Test Suites

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 20, 2017 2:19 AM