none
Intellisense grievances RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using VS 2005 for C++ stuff..

I've been silently shouting and quietly erupting for many years over this ... since VS 6.0, in fact.... but

WHEN WILL SOMEBODY GET INTELLISENSE RIGHT!??!?!?!?!

it never works right. Always is saying it can't find info for this or that member when it really should be finding it. I always think that this has something to do with there being syntax errors... but that is not always the case (I'm editing a file with no syntax issues). I've been coding for many years and I grew out of syntax errors long ago.

C# has such nice Intellisense support that I almost would rather use it just because of that. But still, I need to use C++ for tons of stuff.

Maybe I'll never know why intellisense rarely works until I try to write it myself.

I'd like to know of any updates on how I can improve intellisense without having to pre-maturely build the project and stuff.

Thanks in advance.
    • Edited by Junrei Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:29 PM syntax error... in writing...oops
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:27 PM

Answers

• In my experience, anyone who really cares about usability in VC++ uses Whole Tomato's Visual Assist X anyway, and Visual Assist X comes with its own Intellisense engine.

Yes, it costs extra, and yes, VC++ should have better Intellisense out of the box, but it's worth the money regardless.
    • Marked as answer by Yan-Fei Wei Tuesday, August 12, 2008 9:57 AM
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 7:35 PM