No Fonts or Characters RRS feed

• Question

• Small Basic installs on my Win XP SP3 system, but doesn't display readable characters.  Only little boxes in place of characters.  Here's a screen capture:

http://www.intelligentwebware.com/SmallBasic.png

I've tried re-download, reinstall, etc.  And no useful feedbackfrom the SmallBasic forum.  Some kind of fix is needed.

Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:37 PM

Answers

• This is a tough problem. First, I would try uninstalling and reinstalling .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and doing the same for Small Basic.

If that did not solve the problem, I would start Windows Setup from the CD-ROM (make sure you use an SP3 CD-ROM to avoid mismatching OS files) and repairing (not reinstalling) XP. If you do not have ans XP SP3 disc, you can use slipstreaming to make a Windows XP SP3 disc using a an XP/ XP SP1/ XP SP2 disc. (http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd).

If that still fails, I would have to take to the last resort and format and reinstall everything. However, that is only a last resort and should not be taken lightly.

Hope that helped! Good luck and feel free to post more updates / questions here.

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Friday, October 26, 2012 12:27 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• There was a problem a while back. See the thread here. Unfortunately, this problem was never solved. Maybe some of the suggestions will help you.
    ~~AirWaves!!~~
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 7:51 AM
  • Nothing useful was suggested there.  Still looking for something.
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Hi RJ,

What language are you using? Your desktop capture doesn't provide enough information...

Thanks,
    --Brian

Monday, September 26, 2011 12:13 PM
  • What language am I using for what?  My question starts out,"Small Basic installs on my Win XP SP3 system . . .".  Is that what you mean?  Or are you referring to something else?
    Monday, September 26, 2011 2:29 PM
  • I cannot repro. Any suggestions for RJ?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, October 26, 2012 12:07 AM
  • This is a tough problem. First, I would try uninstalling and reinstalling .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and doing the same for Small Basic.

If that did not solve the problem, I would start Windows Setup from the CD-ROM (make sure you use an SP3 CD-ROM to avoid mismatching OS files) and repairing (not reinstalling) XP. If you do not have ans XP SP3 disc, you can use slipstreaming to make a Windows XP SP3 disc using a an XP/ XP SP1/ XP SP2 disc. (http://lifehacker.com/386526/slipstream-service-pack-3-into-your-windows-xp-installation-cd).

If that still fails, I would have to take to the last resort and format and reinstall everything. However, that is only a last resort and should not be taken lightly.

Hope that helped! Good luck and feel free to post more updates / questions here.

Please mark any answers and "vote as helpful" any posts that help you!

Friday, October 26, 2012 12:27 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks - I posed the question over a year ago, but I've moved on to Python since then . . .
    Friday, October 26, 2012 5:18 AM