none
Visual Studio 2015 Professional - Blank Universal app crashes

Question

• 1.Create Blank App (Universal Windows) in VS 2015 pro.

2.Load the designer for MainPage.xaml and observe the Unhandled Exception stack trace (below).

3.Crash also happens when running the app.

Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.RemoteIsolationContext.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Primitives.IsolationBoundary.IRemoteContext.CreateInstance>b__0() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.ThreadMarshaler.<>c__DisplayClass47_0`1.<MarshalIn>b__0() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.Call.InvokeWorker() at Microsoft.VisualStudio.DesignTools.DesignerContract.Isolation.Remoting.STAMarshaler.Call.Invoke(Boolean waitingInExternalCall)

Much more stack trace here...

• Moved by Kristin Xie Tuesday, January 05, 2016 5:59 AM VS related
    Monday, January 04, 2016 1:55 PM

Answers

• Hi edtheprogrammerguy,

Which version of Windows and Universal app are you using? As far as I know, if your app is Windows 10 app, but your OS is Windows 8/8.1, the designer won't load.

And please make sure you have installed all Windows SDKs, include Windows 10 SDK and Windows 8/8.1 SDK.

Then check whether you have enabled XAML Designer from menu Tools -> Options -> XAML Designer -> Checked "Enable XAML Designer".

If still doesn't work, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. If there any error message, please share here to let me analyze them.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 9:57 AM

All replies

• https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=visualstudiogeneral

Maybe, you should post to the VS forum.

Monday, January 04, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Hi edtheprogrammerguy,

Which version of Windows and Universal app are you using? As far as I know, if your app is Windows 10 app, but your OS is Windows 8/8.1, the designer won't load.

And please make sure you have installed all Windows SDKs, include Windows 10 SDK and Windows 8/8.1 SDK.

Then check whether you have enabled XAML Designer from menu Tools -> Options -> XAML Designer -> Checked "Enable XAML Designer".

If still doesn't work, please check the ActiveLog.xml under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio. If there any error message, please share here to let me analyze them.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, January 05, 2016 9:57 AM