none
Is BCS Mandatory for having SQL server as external content type reg,.

Question

• Hi,

I would like to know if it is possible to have External Content Type for SQL Server without BCS is enabled?

We have a SharePoint provided by our company and I am the owner. 

I was able to create a Data Source to our SQL server. But was unable to add an external content type as the below error was thrown:

"There is no Business Data Connectivity Service associated with the current web context"

When contacted our IT support they said, SQL server is accepted, but they can't enable BCS.

I would like to create a list that will be connected to SQL server. But with the above mentioned condition, can we create such? please do let me know.

Thank you!

--------------------------- Radhai Krish | Golden Age is no more far | --------------------------

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:40 AM

All replies

• Hi Radhai,

Without BCS there are two ways which you think of to get your SQL db data in SharePoint

1. If its just one time action then - export your SQL table to Excel and using Import spreadsheet - you can create list in SharePoint. - But this is one time sync one way action.

2. Custom development - develop a visual web part which will fetch data from SQL table - so programmatically you can perform CRUD operations.

Because BCS is nothing but ready to use connector to do CRUD operations on various data sources - and if you dont want to use it then you have to build your own connector.

Hope this helps.

Regards Sarvesh Shinde SharePoint Developer, India

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Hi Radhai,

Without BCS there are two ways which you think of to get your SQL db data in SharePoint

1. If its just one time action then - export your SQL table to Excel and using Import spreadsheet - you can create list in SharePoint. - But this is one time sync one way action.

2. Custom development - develop a visual web part which will fetch data from SQL table - so programmatically you can perform CRUD operations.

Because BCS is nothing but ready to use connector to do CRUD operations on various data sources - and if you dont want to use it then you have to build your own connector.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Sarvesh for your reply!!

Could you please say me, If you mean 'develop a visual web part' to be a DOT NET solution? 

--------------------------- Radhai Krish | Golden Age is no more far | --------------------------

Wednesday, January 11, 2017 1:33 PM
  • Yes dot.Net solution. Custom development in c#. Refer this as sample. That is only safer way to make connection to SQL DB.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 6:21 AM