none
Status for SSMS Object Explorer and SQL Azure

Question

• What is the status on allowing SQL Server Management Studio Object Explorer to work with SQL Azure? Call me lazy, but Object Explorer makes SQL Management 10X easier and I don't have time to use Azure for development without it.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 5:29 PM

Answers

• Hello, can you make sure you're using SSMS 2008 R2? 10.25.9085 seems to be an old version. R2's build number is 10.50.1352.12. Please refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/ssds/archive/2009/11/11/9921041.aspx to see how to download SSMS 2008 R2.

In addition, you need to configure your SQL Azure firewall to allow connections from your local machine. Add your local machine's IP address to the firewall exception list.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:34 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:47 AM

All replies

• We already support object explorer; just download SQL Server 2008 R2 Tools and connect to SQL Azure.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:40 PM
  • When I connect to my database with SSMS, I receive this error, which I believed (incorrectly, I guess) was caused by Object Explorer:

TITLE: Connect to Server
    ------------------------------

Cannot connect to xxxxxxx.database.windows.net.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

Invalid object name 'sys.configurations'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 208)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&ProdVer=10.25.9085&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=208&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

• Edited by Randal Burgess Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:41 PM wrong wording
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:41 PM
  • Hello, can you make sure you're using SSMS 2008 R2? 10.25.9085 seems to be an old version. R2's build number is 10.50.1352.12. Please refer to http://blogs.msdn.com/ssds/archive/2009/11/11/9921041.aspx to see how to download SSMS 2008 R2.

In addition, you need to configure your SQL Azure firewall to allow connections from your local machine. Add your local machine's IP address to the firewall exception list.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Yi-Lun Luo Wednesday, January 20, 2010 9:34 AM
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 10:47 AM
  • That must be the issue. I wasn't aware Object Explorer worked EXCLUSIVELY with Azure via R2. I'll install and see what happens.

rb
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:04 PM
  • I've downloaded SSMS 2008 R2, and although I can connect to the SQL Azure database, the most useful features - the UI interface to edit the table data and other aspects, are not enabled.  Whenever I try to do anything useful to the database, I'm presented with scripts and T-SQL.

Do I maybe have a setting mis-configured somewhere, or is access to the database truely limited through SSMS 2008 R2?  If the latter, are there plans to provide these capabilities in the future?  As someone else said, managing a database with SSMS is 100x more productive than by creating and using scripts and T-SQL everywhere...
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 2:29 PM
  • Yes, the edit data feature has not been implemented in this CTP version. We may implement this feature in a future release. As for now, personally I think the fastest solution to edit data is to create an ASP.NET Dynamic Data project. You can setup such a project within a few minutes, and although the user experience cannot be compared to SSMS, it does allow you to edit the data.
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:18 AM
  • Is there any word on what functionality and features we might expect in SQL Management Studio 2008 R2 RTM? 
    Is there any ETA on a SSMS 2008 R2 RC release?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 12:51 AM
  • What is easier Script or UI? Well if you use scritps correctly they are easier then the UI Wizards. Wizard could have many steps.

SQL Azure supports TSQL subset. UI will come later perhaps.
    mysorian
    Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:30 AM
  • Hi Andy,

Try the 'Houston' project you can see SQL Azure table design just like the UI you see in SSMS for SQL Servers. What 'Houston' lacks is syntax coloring and I am sure this can be fixed with a dash of css. I thought silverlight could do anything, I wonder why they left all SQL Statements in Green, perhaps because of the new 'Green' hype.

mysorian
    Monday, August 30, 2010 8:42 PM
  • Here is a screen shot of a SQL Azure table in design view.

http://hodentek.blogspot.com/2010/09/who-said-you-cannot-have-design-view-of.html

mysorian
    Wednesday, September 01, 2010 1:24 PM
  • I'm new to SQL Azure but was wondering why SSMS has grayed out the Design Query in Editor and my search landed me on these posts.  After reading them am I to assume it is still not supported for SQL Azure as of the end of September, 2010 or is there a patch or update I need to install?
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:29 AM