none
BizTalk 2013 R2 HL7 EDI ESB solution RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been entrusted with the responsibility of building HL7 interface for my client. I need to bring in the member eligibility data(HL7/EDI) from ancillary vendors -110K records- 834/837 EDI files

I think batch would be the approach, I just wanted to have basic pointers--

EDI sv HL7

batch vs real time

MLLP vs Web services

ESB vs traditional BizTalk

of course I want the solution to be extensible so that new vendors could be on boarded easily with no or minimal change.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Rahul

Thursday, July 20, 2017 2:42 AM

All replies

• Here's a few pointers:

EDI vs HL7:  You don't get to choose. :(  They serve different purposes so you'll need to support whatever the other apps require.  BizTalk Server support both.

Batch vs Real Time: Again, you probably won't get to choose. :(  If you can do real time, it's usually better but a lot of healthcare is still batch oriented.

MLLP vs Web Services: So sorry, you probably won't get to choose this either.  BizTalk works with both though.

ESBT vs BizTalk: 99%, a standard BizTalk app will easily meet all your requirements.  If you identify a provable case where using ESBT tools makes your job or the admins job easier, use it.  Otherwise, stick with the basics.

Thursday, July 20, 2017 1:39 PM
  • Thanks John ! I do have few more questions.

what is the ideal way to save HL7--> XML messages in SQL database. essentially , I am asking directions around designing the DB to parse and store HL7 message.

The big ask with the current interface is , store the HL7 message(for e.g. Immunization records ) received from ancillary  vendors , store in SQL DB and thereafter setup a reconciliation process, so I need the immunization data to be in a queryable format.

Thanks in advance 

Rahul

Sunday, July 23, 2017 4:05 AM
  • what is the ideal way to save HL7--> XML messages in SQL database. essentially , I am asking directions around designing the DB to parse and store HL7 message.

The big ask with the current interface is , store the HL7 message(for e.g. Immunization records ) received from ancillary  vendors , store in SQL DB and thereafter setup a reconciliation process, so I need the immunization data to be in a queryable format.

Here's the deal with this...you need to spend some time with the users of the data to find out how they expect to work with it, such as searching it. Preview: they're probably not too sure themselves which is why it's really important to keep V1, V2 and V3 as simple as possible.  You'll need to explain this to your management also.

SQL Server has great Xml support so simple option #1 would be storing the xml as a Xml type, creating indexes on the fields the users expect to use most.

Once they use it for a while, they'll figure out how it should work.

Monday, July 24, 2017 2:00 PM