Confused about OS requirements RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm quite confused about the OS requirements for POS.NET, Microsoft state that POS for .NET will not work on any Home version of Windows or will not even install yet I have managed to install it on Windows XP Home.

Could someone explain the actual requirements of POS for .NET, for example does it only apply to the development PC or are the requirements also for the client computer, I intend to have my client install either Vista/Windows 7 Pro, Business or ultimate, would this work?

Also, does POS for .NET need to be installed on every machine that uses my POS software.

Thank you for any help
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:26 PM

Answers

• The listed OS requirement for POS for .NET indicate which platforms are supported.  Platforms that are not listed are currently not supported to run POS for .NET.  

The POS for .NET runtime is required to be installed on every machine that contains POS software that relies on POS for .NET technology.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Friday, March 5, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

Terry's response is correct, but just to be 100% clear... even if you can get it to run on one of the 'unsupported platforms', the license doesn't allow you to run it on them. You are only *allowed* to run them on the OS' specified in the requirements.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:09 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• This topic has been addressed at least twice in these forums already.
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 7:52 PM
  • The listed OS requirement for POS for .NET indicate which platforms are supported.  Platforms that are not listed are currently not supported to run POS for .NET.  

The POS for .NET runtime is required to be installed on every machine that contains POS software that relies on POS for .NET technology.

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Friday, March 5, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

Terry's response is correct, but just to be 100% clear... even if you can get it to run on one of the 'unsupported platforms', the license doesn't allow you to run it on them. You are only *allowed* to run them on the OS' specified in the requirements.
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 11:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Interesting though, that the licensing documentation (and the software itself) is far enough out of date that it states that it is designed for Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 and there is no mention of the Windows 7 operating system.

Although the EULA also states that the software is distributed "as is" with no support, maybe the EULA should be updated ... otherwise, just how logically (not legally) valid is it?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:38 PM